Would you like to help with a study?

Donald Esker

Location (City and/or State)
Waco Texas
I'm not sure this is the right place to post, but here goes nothing!

I'm a paleontologist studying Ice Age animals, and I want YOU(r tortoise) to help me solve an ancient mystery! Some science-y talk is coming up -- you can skip to the *** for the executive summary, if you like! ;-)

I'm hoping for your help. My name is Don Esker; I'm a doctoral candidate at Baylor University in Texas, doing my dissertation on Waco Mammoth National Monument (WMNM) http://www.nps.gov/waco/index.htm. This is an ice-age fossil site where many different creatures were found. One of the more enigmatic is an animal called Hesperotestudo crassiscutata. This was a tortoise -- perhaps related to Gopherus -- that lived on this continent during the Late Pleistocene. It's often called the North American giant tortoise. How giant? That's the problem. Most of the remains are highly fragmentary, and the handful of well-preserved specimens don't preserve soft tissue so the animal's weight can't be measured directly. Published weight estimates seem to be based largely on guesswork and rough comparisons with modern giant tortoises. For my purposes this isn't good enough. I need to have a tightly-constrained estimate of the WMNM specimen's mass so that I can model its thermal properties to find out how long it could tolerate sub-optimal temperatures. If I could manage that, it could function as a more reliable climate proxy.

Getting a good weight estimate isn't easy, however. The terms in morphometrics vs. weight curves vary between species. The differences might be small, but for an animal with a meter-long carapace these equations produce weight estimates that differ by a factor of 2 or 3. To resolve this and find the best equation for predicting H. crassiscutata's weight, I'd like to do something like this:

1. Develop morphometrics* vs. weight curves for as many testudinid species as possible.
2. Use multivariate analysis to determine whether the terms in a species' morphometrics vs. weight curve are controlled primarily by taxonomy, maximum adult size, or a mixture of the two (I'm pretty handy with PaSt).
3. Select the curve most appropriate for H. crassiscutata.
4. Reconstruct the probable morphometrics of as many museum specimens as possible to better understand the ontogeny and allometry of H. crassiscutata.
5. Reconstruct the weights of an average H. crassiscutata and the Waco specimens.
6. Model the thermal properties to determine the climate tolerance of an average specimen and the WACO specimens.
7. Compare with climate models for as much of the Pleistocene as possible to produce a range chart for each MIS.
8. Reevaluate previous papers that have used H. crassiscutata as a paleoclimate or biostratigraphic indicator in light of this new data.
* [The morphometrics would include the dimensions of the individual bones that make up the shell, the pattern of the horny scutes that cover them, and the dimension of cranial and limb elements.]

*** LONG STORY SHORT: I'm trying to find out how much an extinct Ice Age tortoise weighed when it was alive. To do this, I need to understand how a tortoise's proportions change as it gets bigger and heavier. For that, I need a LOT of tortoise measurements, of every species I can find!

And this is where you, Gentle Reader, can help! Are you willing to take a few measurements of your tortoise and send them to me? I'd need the carapace length and width, the dimensions of the scutes, etc, in addition to the weight. It'd be great if I could get every measurement from every tortoise, but you can still contribute just giving me the species, age, sex, carapace length, and weight of your shelly companions! If you're interested in participating, vote 'yes' below and email me at [email protected] -- I'll send you a list of measurements! Volunteers would get mentioned in the acknowledgements (collectively) and named specifically in the data that get's published with the study.

Cheers,

Don Esker

Rue

Canada
Funny thing :) ...I was just looking up "dino torts" myself. Then I was side tracked by tortoises wearing Dino sweaters.

I don't think the measurents of my baby Hermann's would be of use. You likely like older adults of giant species?

Donald Esker

Waco Texas
Funny thing :) ...I was just looking up "dino torts" myself. Then I was side tracked by tortoises wearing Dino sweaters.

I don't think the measurents of my baby Hermann's would be of use. You likely like older adults of giant species?

Actually, some Testudo measurements would be great. I need to figure out if the way a tortoise changes shape has more to do with how bit it will get, or where it is in the tortoise family tree. Beyond that, even giant tortoises start out small!

Rue

Canada
I probably should measure her periodically regardless, so I have a record. I will pass those on to you.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Interesting plan. Burrowing tortoises are not an easy paleoclimate indicator to work from. Is it now believed that H. crassicutata was not a burrowing species?

I wonder if contacting the agencies that adopt Gopherus spp. out to the public in the southern states and asking them to collect data would be a good idea. They'd have access to a rather large relevant dataset, I'd imagine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Don, and welcome to the Forum!

I'd be happy to help you. I have about 7 Gopherus agassizii and within the group the sizes/weights vary a lot (they're all full grown). I also have 8 Texas tortoises, quite a bit smaller than the ones mentioned above, and all full grown.

I also have a full grown sulcata (from Africa) and two half grown Aldabrans (from the Seychelle Islands).

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
If you're also interested in measurements of a young redfoot, I'm willing to help!

A very cool study by the way. My father also studied biology and paleontology (and geology), he did some very cool research on dinosaurs :)

Donald Esker

Waco Texas
If you're also interested in measurements of a young redfoot, I'm willing to help!

A very cool study by the way. My father also studied biology and paleontology (and geology), he did some very cool research on dinosaurs :)
Ms. Amanda; I'd love the redfoot measurements! I'll get an measurement sheet posted right away! Oh, and what dinosaurs, where? I did Jurassic dinos for my master's thesis, before switching to Ice Age critters.

Last edited:

Donald Esker

Waco Texas
Interesting plan. Burrowing tortoises are not an easy paleoclimate indicator to work from. Is it now believed that H. crassicutata was not a burrowing species?

I wonder if contacting the agencies that adopt Gopherus spp. out to the public in the southern states and asking them to collect data would be a good idea. They'd have access to a rather large relevant dataset, I'd imagine.
Ms. Sarah;

Good idea on contacting the state agencies -- I'll give it a go! As for burrowing in Hesperotestudo, the 'common wisdom' is that it was too big to burrow efficiently, and that no burrows have been found. In addition to this, they lack the specialized wrists Gopherus polyphemus and Gopherus flavomarginatus have. That said, I'm not really convinced that burrowing was impossible. Even if adults were probably too big, the juveniles shouldn't have been. The lack of burrows doesn't bother me either. We have THOUSANDS of Gopherus polyphemus fossils from the Ice Age and only one possible burrow; they clearly don't preserve well. As for the digging specializations? They're much weaker in G. berlandieri, and G. agassizii are much weaker, and both can burrow at least a little. Many other tortoise genera also burrow as juvies, with no specializations at all.

My working assumption is that H. crassiscutata juveniles could burrow to escape cold weather just fine. For that reason I'm going to model the thermal ecology of the adults only, as they were (presumably) not burrowing.

Cheers!

Donald Esker

Waco Texas
Hey all! Just to keep you updated, attached is a figure with that details most of the measurements I'd like. If it seems overwhelming don't let it get to you -- I can make due with as little as your tortoise's species, sex, age, length, and weight. Getting more data would be great, but this isn't an all-or-nothing proposition. I hope to hear from more folks soon!TortoiseMeasures.jpg

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
I'm in, will start my measurements tonight and send them to your email address. Not sure of their age but could give a growth rate from what they are now until full grown. I love science have a BS in geology so this is right up my field. I think i have a male and a female so it will be interesting to make all these measurements. Right now heading out to inspect my Italian honey bee hive going to split this spring.

Donald Esker

Waco Texas
That's great news -- thanks so much for your help!

BTW, where in northeast Ohio are you from? I've been away for a while, but I grew up in Fairlawn/Copley.

Cheers,

Don

Donald Esker

Waco Texas
Hey all! Some good news on the tortoise study front: I'll be measuring tortoises at Cameron Park Zoo in Waco Texas this coming Monday! I'm pretty psyched: we'll get data for two Gopherus berlandieri, one Gopherus polyphemus, two Aldabrachelys gigantea, one Chelonoidis nigra, and two Centrochelys sulcata. It's a great start, but for a good study I'll need measurements from dozens, no, HUNDREDS of tortoises! If you're willing to help out, I'm eager to hear from you!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Don, this sounds like a great science project for my kids! We have 2 youngster RF's (will soon be a year old). My 11 yr old 5th grader (daughter) is the actual owner of the tort babies), she can take all the detailed measurements for you. One of the babies is Redfoot, breeder said she was incubated to become female (we shall see), she has some split scutes. The other baby is Brazilian Cherryhead boy (also per incubation temps). The kids will have fun with this great science exercise. They need to learn the importance of good thorough documentation. The only thing is, looking at your measurement diagram, how would you like to address those split/extra scutes? Just measure each one as they are?

Donald Esker

Waco Texas
Hi Don, this sounds like a great science project for my kids! We have 2 youngster RF's (will soon be a year old). My 11 yr old 5th grader (daughter) is the actual owner of the tort babies), she can take all the detailed measurements for you. One of the babies is Redfoot, breeder said she was incubated to become female (we shall see), she has some split scutes. The other baby is Brazilian Cherryhead boy (also per incubation temps). The kids will have fun with this great science exercise. They need to learn the importance of good thorough documentation. The only thing is, looking at your measurement diagram, how would you like to address those split/extra scutes? Just measure each one as they are?

Ms. Pearly;

Thanks so much for volunteering to help -- with any luck this will be fun for your 5th grader! As for the split scutes -- I actually find those VERY interesting; they can happen at any time, but they're more common when the nest environment isn't ideal. That means that if we see evidence of them in the fossil record, they could be very informative! If you need to, make an extra space or two for the split scutes -- record length and width as closely as you can. I can't wait to see your data -- thank your 5th grader for me!

Cheers,

Don Esker

Donald Esker

Waco Texas
Greetings All!

Just a quick update on the study -- it's moving ahead well! Not only have I gotten a good response from the forum, I've gotten permission to measure a number of zoo tortoises. Today I visited the Cameron Park Zoo in Waco, TX. They have a TON of tortoises -- more than I could handle today, in fact. I and my assistant contented ourselves with measuring 2 adult Texas tortoise males, 1 sub-adult Texas tortoise male, 1 gopher tortoise male, 1 redfoot female, and 1 redfoot male. It was a good day, but I'm going back on Wednesday to measure their big sulcatas!

Cheers,

DonGrumpy_Guy.jpg CutePic.jpg RedfootGuy.jpg RedfootLady.jpg TortoiseTub.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Greetings All!

Just a quick update on the study -- it's moving ahead well! Not only have I gotten a good response from the forum, I've gotten permission to measure a number of zoo tortoises. Today I visited the Cameron Park Zoo in Waco, TX. They have a TON of tortoises -- more than I could handle today, in fact. I and my assistant contented ourselves with measuring 2 adult Texas tortoise males, 1 sub-adult Texas tortoise male, 1 gopher tortoise male, 1 redfoot female, and 1 redfoot male. It was a good day, but I'm going back on Wednesday to measure their big sulcatas!

Cheers,

DonView attachment 168802 View attachment 168803 View attachment 168804 View attachment 168805 View attachment 168806
Hi Donald.

This looks a very interesting challenge you have here.
Would a Tortoise with pyramiding give you false readings? Below is a redfoot I rescued a while back, you can see the scutes are out of proportion due to bad care practice, on this example would the MH dimension relevance to the W3N/SW3N dim give you a false reading as oppose to a perfectly formed wild redfoot of the same size.
What I'm asking is, would a Tortoise like this be any good to your study?
IMG_20150725_105031.jpg

Donald Esker

Waco Texas
Hi Donald.

This looks a very interesting challenge you have here.
Would a Tortoise with pyramiding give you false readings? Below is a redfoot I rescued a while back, you can see the scutes are out of proportion due to bad care practice, on this example would the MH dimension relevance to the W3N/SW3N dim give you a false reading as oppose to a perfectly formed wild redfoot of the same size.
What I'm asking is, would a Tortoise like this be any good to your study?
View attachment 168811

Anyfoot;

Any and all tortoises are welcome! While unfortunate for the tortoise, pathologies like this are actually useful to the study. It's true that pyramiding will distort some measurements -- particularly the 'curved' measurements taken with a cloth measuring tape. Including such specimens in my analysis, however, gives a more realistic impression of the amount of variation possible in a species. While more prevalent in malnourished pets, pyramiding can occur in wild tortoises as well if placed under prolonged dietary stress. For this reason, I'm eager to sample pathological specimens. It might even be interesting as a side project to look for pyramiding in extinct tortoises as a proxy for less-than-ideal conditions! Write me at [email protected] if you want the worksheet that goes along with the diagram.

Thank you so much for your help!

Cheers,

Don Esker

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Ms. Pearly;

Thanks so much for volunteering to help -- with any luck this will be fun for your 5th grader! As for the split scutes -- I actually find those VERY interesting; they can happen at any time, but they're more common when the nest environment isn't ideal. That means that if we see evidence of them in the fossil record, they could be very informative! If you need to, make an extra space or two for the split scutes -- record length and width as closely as you can. I can't wait to see your data -- thank your 5th grader for me!

Cheers,

Don Esker
Hello, Donald, I hope it's ok to skip the formalities. Being addressed as "Ms......" makes me feel like an old matron. But I feel young at heartWe are all friends on this forum. Is there any standardized matrix for taking measurements? Guidelines? What type of measuring devices to be used! Calipers? Soft fabrick tape? Is there a diagram sheet to follow? We'll get the measurements done before the end of this week. It'll be lot of fun.