Yellow aloe vera for Russian tortoise

Timmythetort8

Location (City and/or State)
Nevada
A friend gave me a slice of organic homegrown aloe vera to give to my tortoise, but it smells bad and the goo is yellow(I searched it up and I think it is over watered). Is it still safe to feed to my Russian tortoise?

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
The yellow substance that comes out of aloe vera is called aloin, and it can be harmful to the skin in large quantities. Aloin is a natural laxative and can cause irritation and allergic reactions when applied to the skin. I also wouldnt feed or you may have a taco tuesday on ur hands

Timmythetort8

Nevada
I looked more at the aloe and it seems to only come out of the place the aloe was cut so I removed that part and gave him the clear gooey aloe slices and he liked it. Thank you for the responses though.

Anastasia 22

Texas
The yellow substance that comes out of aloe vera is called aloin, and it can be harmful to the skin in large quantities. Aloin is a natural laxative and can cause irritation and allergic reactions when applied to the skin. I also wouldnt feed or you may have a taco tuesday on ur hands
Aloin is actually beneficial for skin if applied correctly....
Sincerely, oncology esthetician😊

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Aloe is tortoise safe. I never had a tort like it, but it's safe for them to eat.
I have never seen the stuff inside be yellow though.