Yellow bellied slider question!!

Autumn_Leaves87

Location (City and/or State)
Stab, Kentucky
So I have a question I just bought my yellow bellied slider female hatchling Adalida on Friday. Since then I have NEVER seen her bask and I am around them constantly. I don't know if it is because I bought her at a pet store that didn't take very good care of the turtles and they had one tiny basking area with so many baby turtles they were literally piling up on top of each other trying to get the light. She has preferred to stay under my makeshift waterfall and she has looked at the basking area but has never gone up to actually bask. I have picked her up and put her on the basking spot and she just gets off of it. My water temp is 78 F and my basking temp is around 110 F. I have added a pic of the baby turtle tank. The plant is covering the filter making the makeshift waterfall she stays in. What could cause her not to bask? Is there a way to encourage basking?

108996823_296128431748102_8871544407660920154_n.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, the turtle is staying there to hide from the predators that want to eat it. But I'll alert @Markw84 to see if he has an answer for you.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
baby turtles need lots of hiding areas to feel secure. In the wild they would be found hiding in water plants, never in the open where they become an easy meal for a bass or bullfrog or heron, etc. Yours is most likely staying near the filter as it is the only plants in the tank where it feels comfortable. I can see with you picture as it is so small and such low resolution, so can't see much of anything in the tank!

Put some fake plants in the tank. Have some in the basking zone where the turtle can climb out to bask, but still be close to the safe cover of the plants. They will also bask by hanging in the plants near the surface. 110° is too hot for you basking area. I shoot for more in the mid 90°s.

Here' a picture of one of my baby turtle tanks to give you some ideas...

IMG_0005.jpg