Yellow foot and Salcuta

Mel

5 Year Member
I’ve tried several enclosures over the years. This season my Salcuta is just roaming yard with a Dog Igloo for shelter. We have a corner lot so it’s decent size. Though I’m working on dogs to leave alone! My Yellowfoot has a pen and loves soaking daily. Each have access to their own mini pond. I’d like to post a pic to see if anyone thinks the Salcuta may be developing pyramiding. It’s slightly raised but perhaps it is normal. Thanks for advice!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 0E26E854-297F-4A95-90A8-DB009813F73C.jpeg
    0E26E854-297F-4A95-90A8-DB009813F73C.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 24
  • 710DD724-647D-4320-9E36-EDC377F9FC16.jpeg
    710DD724-647D-4320-9E36-EDC377F9FC16.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
She's way past the size when pyramiding happens. It's all good from now on.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The sully looks great. Let's keep him that way by not trusting your dogs to learn to leave it alone but putting up a fence so they can't get too him. A well trained dog, living years with tortoises, finally one day killed it.
Our forums professional dog/animal trainer wouldn't leave his movie star trained dog to be unattended by his torts.
No one else should either.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome. Looking good with the sulcata. Tell me more about the yellow. I love them.

Mel

5 Year Member
Thank you. Appreciate the insight!
Well I separated the two because the Salcuta doesn’t care she’s a different species even though I don’t think they could “match” up. I wasn’t sure if it could get aggressive. So she’s in a pen inside of the yard. She knows I am a provider of good and will come to me though I heard Yellowfoots are shy. She came from an exotic pet store already of adult size. She’s grown some since so I guess not too old. She likes to soak in the pond. My husband is the exotic person but I feel I take the general care!

Attachments

• B7C46129-7B9B-45EF-8E43-A8EA604186FF.jpeg
    B7C46129-7B9B-45EF-8E43-A8EA604186FF.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
  • F3ACE7E6-E4C9-4B36-B033-9B7042EC9022.jpeg
    F3ACE7E6-E4C9-4B36-B033-9B7042EC9022.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 13
  • BFBC0F57-F931-40E4-B0A3-A5FD4B2D1ADA.jpeg
    BFBC0F57-F931-40E4-B0A3-A5FD4B2D1ADA.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13

Mel

5 Year Member
The sully looks great. Let's keep him that way by not trusting your dogs to learn to leave it alone but putting up a fence so they can't get too him. A well trained dog, living years with tortoises, finally one day killed it.
Our forums professional dog/animal trainer wouldn't leave his movie star trained dog to be unattended by his torts.
No one else should either

Mel

5 Year Member
Passive aggressive? I’ve known several persons who let large Sullies or Russians roam yard with dogs. I thought the larger space would be good for him. I could put up another pen, of course it would be smaller.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Passive aggressive? I’ve known several persons who let large Sullies or Russians roam yard with dogs. I thought the larger space would be good for him. I could put up another pen, of course it would be smaller.
If you don't care what happens to the Sulcata then leave the dogs and tort together. Dog will bite tort sooner or later.
How do you know what sex that Sulcata is?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love my dog! She's my faithful companion. And I have an acre of property with no people yards. It's all designed for tortoises, with the exception of about a quarter acre of horse pasture. Even though Misty is devoted to me, tuned in to my feelings, and a very good dog, I never allow her to go outside unless I'm going too. She pays absolutely no attention to any of my turtles and tortoises, but having been involved with turtle/tortoise rescue for 30 or 40 years, I've pretty much seen and heard it all, and Misty will NEVER be allowed outside unless I go too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you are asking if I'm passive aggressive, no! Trying to save you heart ache and your torts pain!
I say it like it is and don't tip toe around as so many new members come in with the passive aggressive attitude they know it all. The truth 99% of the time, they don't as they have gotten all the wrong outdated info.
So like Maggie said, don't listen and let your dogs and torts be together. Just don't forget, when "it" happens and your tort gets chewed, come and let's us know. Seems nobody ever wants to come back and admit they were wrong.

Mel

5 Year Member
If you don't care what happens to the Sulcata then leave the dogs and tort together. Dog will bite tort sooner or later.
How do you know what sex that Sulcata is
Does the sex of the tort matter?

Mel

5 Year Member
If you are asking if I'm passive aggressive, no! Trying to save you heart ache and your torts pain!
I say it like it is and don't tip toe around as so many new members come in with the passive aggressive attitude they know it all. The truth 99% of the time, they don't as they have gotten all the wrong outdated info.
So like Maggie said, don't listen and let your dogs and torts be together. Just don't forget, when "it" happens and your tort gets chewed, come and let's us know. Seems nobody ever wants to come back and admit they were wrong.
Geez.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So now that we are on the same path. You would be saving your torts and yourself pain by housing them seperate as they require different requirements and diet and not letting the dogs get near them. It's really that simple and the best for all.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
We just want what's best for the torts, you and your dogs. I have three - Newf, Shiloh Shepherd and a Chow Chow. They have been introduced to my torts but have never showed an interest, but they shall never spend time together due to the torts. My Russian once missed the food I was holding and got the the skin between my thumb and forefinger. I held him up to show my wife and it took almost two minutes to get him to let go. Sadly on TFO there are many more like that and worse. A tort has a beak and easily chomps through tough plants and use it to try new foods. I am scared my tort would chomp on my dogs not the other way around. For exhibit A- I offer the Queen of Bad Luck ---Maggie. https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/adult-sulcata-bite.185591/