Yellow lump at baby sulcata's eye

tripleduper

Location (City and/or State)
LEESBURG
Hi guys, I have had this little guy for 3 weeks now, just noticed he have this yellow lump start developing around the left eye area today. I have him in a closed chamber with controlled temperature at 80-95F through out the day and humidity at 85+. There are 5 other babies in this chamber and they are appear to be ok. I see some other posts talking about yellow lumps and they are seem to have bad endings. Any comments before I head to the vet?

Attachments

• IMG_0817.jpg
    IMG_0817.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

tripleduper

LEESBURG
I had an exchange with the seller, he mentioned that the humidity is dangerously too high for him. Linking this to this guy growing much faster before I switched him to the current closed chamber, I just realized that this little guy had a dry start and the high humidity is just killing him. I do want to contrast this with my other two sulcatas, who are doing great in the higher humidity closed chamber.

I have moved this little guy out into my old smaller enclosure but with room humidity (around 40-50), and I will also be capping my closed chamber humidity to 80 and not any higher.

For anyone else who might be having issues, it might be worth it to ask your seller if your tortoise was dry started and wet started. Either way is fine, but you may need to continue that trend in your own housing and make changes gradually if must.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Hmmm. I seriously doubt high humidity caused that. If it were me, I'd have it checked for Austwickia chelonae. And just to be on the safe side, I'd immediately segregate that tort from the rest, pitch the substrate, and sanitize the enclosure. More info on austwickia chelonae: https://www.allturtles.com/austwickia-chelonae/ .