Yellow spot on eastern Hermann

BuckyandCommodus

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hello,

I'm a long time reptile keeper but brand new to tortoises. I got my little guy just 4 days ago and we're doing well, I noticed this yellow spot on him at the breeders but they assured me the vet and taken a look and it seemed to be a ripped off scale and nothing to be worried about

I'm a little worried now that it might be something more sinister, it looks a little close to yellow fungus but I'm no vet so I wouldn't know just by looking. He's registered at the local exotic vets, do you think I should just make him an appointment?

Please let me know what you think! 20211103_144821.jpg

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Welcome to the forum! There’s definitely nothing to be concerned with on you cute little tortoises head. I agree that it looks like a scale was removed one way or another and the yellow is just a new fresh one growing in its place. It takes awhile for it to blend in with the rest of its surroundings. My Eastern Hermann’s tortoise has had this happen a couple of times in his 2 years of life and it’s looked exactly the same as your picture.

If you haven't already seen it, here is a link to an awesome care sheet that was made by one of our members. You may find some helpful information in the link. There’s a lot of misinformation on the internet about tortoise care, so I am glad you found your way to the forum!

BuckyandCommodus

London
Welcome to the forum! There’s definitely nothing to be concerned with on you cute little tortoises head. I agree that it looks like a scale was removed one way or another and the yellow is just a new fresh one growing in its place. It takes awhile for it to blend in with the rest of its surroundings. My Eastern Hermann’s tortoise has had this happen a couple of times in his 2 years of life and it’s looked exactly the same as your picture.

If you haven't already seen it, here is a link to an awesome care sheet that was made by one of our members. You may find some helpful information in the link. There’s a lot of misinformation on the internet about tortoise care, so I am glad you found your way to the forum!

Thank you so much for the resources! I'm so happy to learn more, this little guy already means the whole world to me!

I'm looking forward to hopefully learning more and sharing my experiences with the community ?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Thank you so much for the resources! I'm so happy to learn more, this little guy already means the whole world to me!

I'm looking forward to hopefully learning more and sharing my experiences with the community ?
Welcome to the forum!! There are plenty of UK members here on the forum, so you have ready advice where to find sources & supplies which I know you will find handy. Glad you found us!!