Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ICanICan123

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE, Ohio
Franklin, our 2 year old, has access to water in his pen, but I make sure he gets a nice soak daily. The pictures (don't mind my kitchen haha, I promise he's not right on top of the dishes like the depth of field makes it look) are from yesterday.
He's gotten a little bigger since we got him a year ago, but not a lot. He had some pyramiding when we got him, but it hasn't gotten any worse/changed. I'm just concerned with him not growing and the way his shell looks. It feels hard when I pick him up.
And don't mind the discoloration around his mouth, he had just eaten a nice big pile of spring mix =P
Does he look healthy to you?
securedownload-11.jpg

securedownload-10.jpg

securedownload-9.jpg

securedownload-8.jpg

securedownload-5.jpg

ICanICan123

5 Year Member
NE, Ohio
dalano73 said:
He looks fine to me and the new growth looks good...

/tortoise newbie: The new growth would be the lighter parts around the bottom of his shell?
We took him in when the boyfriend and I moved to our apartment because the people who were giving us furniture for free :)D) asked if we knew anyone who could take him. He was literally just in a small fish tank with some sand. :(

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
In the last photo you can see where the new growth is growing smooth compared to the older pyramided growth "on the top of the shell".

ICanICan123

5 Year Member
NE, Ohio
Thanks! That makes me feel better!
Oh, duh, Dalano haha. You meant his little spikes =P I had a bit of a blonde moment haha.
I just feel kind of bad because I would have liked to research sulcatas more before agreeing to take him, but they needed him gone asap. :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He looks healthy and bright eyed. Does he have a UV source (not a coil bulb) and some regular calcium supplementation now?

The new growth happens at the margins around each individual scute. With the right conditions, that new growth should start coming in at less of an angle than his current pyramids.

The main thing I worry about in a case like this is that they probably did not give him the right diet or calcium or any UV. This would cause internal problems that cannot be seen on the outside until the later stages when its too late. To fix it, simply correct those deficiencies, and all should turn out well.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Tom said:
The new growth happens at the margins around each individual scute.

Thats what I was trying to say..:D when I was typing it, I couldn't think of the right words....

ICanICan123

5 Year Member
NE, Ohio
Tom said:
He looks healthy and bright eyed. Does he have a UV source (not a coil bulb) and some regular calcium supplementation now?

The new growth happens at the margins around each individual scute. With the right conditions, that new growth should start coming in at less of an angle than his current pyramids.

The main thing I worry about in a case like this is that they probably did not give him the right diet or calcium or any UV. This would cause internal problems that cannot be seen on the outside until the later stages when its too late. To fix it, simply correct those deficiencies, and all should turn out well.

He has a UV light in his pen and actually the little container you can see in the pictures is his calcium and vitamin D supp :D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Who ever clicked "no" that he doesn't look healthy/normal, can you tell me what you see wrong? besides the slight pyramiding I dont see any issues. Wanna make sure I am not missing something....Thanks, you can even PM me if you don't wanna post on the thread...

ICanICan123

5 Year Member
NE, Ohio
dalano73 said:
Who ever clicked "no" that he doesn't look healthy/normal, can you tell me what you see wrong? besides the slight pyramiding I dont see any issues. Wanna make sure I am not missing something....Thanks, you can even PM me if you don't wanna post on the thread...

I agree, what's the point in voting if you're not going to offer help?

Thanks for all the help and input, guys! I really appreciate it, especially since I didn't get to learn about them prior to getting the little guy. We're kind of just learning together and I don't want to overlook or not notice something that could have some dire consequences for him :(

Status
Not open for further replies.