Yet another forum noob...

CindyWho4

Location (City and/or State)
Central Illinois
Hey Everyone!

Many years ago, when I was little more than a kid, I got a Russian tortoise from a pet store. I realized before long that she was actually wild caught and probably fairly old. I had her for over 11 years before she died for unknown reasons. It CRUSHED me. That was almost 6 years ago.

Fast forward to this past week. I have been longing to own another tortoise and even holding onto the custom table my husband and step dad built a few years before my RT died just in case. But I really didn't want to feel that loss again. Well, my friend that works at a pet store has this mature RT there that won't eat much. He's had several vet check ups. No parasites, very healthy, gaining weight. Vet says the RT just doesn't like the set up and food at the pet store (gee, really?). Either way, since he's not thriving, she recommends he be a "no guarantee" animal, meaning they can adopt him out. Did I want him? So...I am trying this whole "mature RT from a pet store" thing again. I am terrified. But I already love him so very much. I hope I do this right. :confused:

My avatar is before I had everything done in the table, and he's on the cool end. Just in case anyone is wondering about the sparse set up. haha! Love the forum already!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Cindy, and welcome to the Forum!

I know the weather isn't good right now in your neck of the woods,however, real sunshine does wonders for a tortoise that doesn't eat good. Try to get him outside if you have any sunny days. And be sure to buy a GOOD UVB light for indoors.

CindyWho4

Central Illinois
Thank you! I plan to get him outside the first sunny day at least for a while. It's been raining both days I've had him. I didn't own my own home when I had my first tort, so I was never able to build her an outdoor pen, but I took her outside to graze (no pesticides) every single nice day I could. I will do that until it freezes now, and build a pen this spring. And I have a Powersun basking lamp and also one of the two florescent tubes I have emits UVB. My table is 5' long so there is one on there that is just for light.

CindyWho4

Central Illinois
Thank you so much, everyone!

The red and green things are actually planters. They are now buried down into the substrate (which is coconut coir now) and act as climbing/hiding items. Like I said, this was before set up was anywhere near done. There are four of them, the other two are light blue and orange. I like the colors. :)