YF eggs

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I actually have two batches in the 'cooker.' The first batch was put in there in June and contains 4 retained eggs and 7 from that day. They are all chalked and looking very good. The second batch, the 'hot' batch, (I can't remember how many of those are in there) are also looking pretty good. So far the incubator doesn't smell. That's always a good sign!

Turtlepete

South Florida
Pretty cool. Never knew YF's laid on the surface! I wonder why more people aren't keeping and breeding yellow's….I've thought of trying to setup a pair or trio before. Seems like they are quite a bit rarer then red's. The big cousin of the red foot, haha ;).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really don't see what a lot of you are expressing. My YF tortoises are pretty drab and plain-looking, have no personality and hide in their shells whenever they see me. They are not the big ones, just average size, and in my eye, RF tortoises are much prettier.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I actually have two batches in the 'cooker.' The first batch was put in there in June and contains 4 retained eggs and 7 from that day. They are all chalked and looking very good. The second batch, the 'hot' batch, (I can't remember how many of those are in there) are also looking pretty good. So far the incubator doesn't smell. That's always a good sign!

Sounds very good indeed! :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I really don't see what a lot of you are expressing. My YF tortoises are pretty drab and plain-looking, have no personality and hide in their shells whenever they see me. They are not the big ones, just average size, and in my eye, RF tortoises are much prettier.

Perhaps a lot of it is that Bonner (was an Easter gift to me sold as a female so was known as Bonnie aka Easter Bonnet), was one of my first tortoises and was a bigger one. Bonner was the most friendly tortoise, who was always glad to see you it seemed. I used him in the local talks I gave. Bonner never stressed with long car rides followed by what must have seemed an unending amount of giant hands reaching and touching him. My reds and cherryheads may all have more and even brighter color, but they tend to not meet his standards of personality. Of course I am also basing my thoughts on what could be one very outstanding wild caught yellowfoot.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Plus I don't pet-ify my tortoises. They are all living outdoors as close to natural as possible, with little or no interaction from me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Every time I walk by the kitchen (where my incubators are) I turn on the light and open the lids of the incubators...and every time I do I'm disappointed. No hatching. One of these times I'm going to be surprised! Can't wait. I'm really looking so forward to the YF eggs hatching, even more so than when I have Manouria eggs in the cooker.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, in fact the eggs from September that had been in the sun are now growing white fuzzy mold on them. The ones from June are still just a-cookin' away.