You'd have to be dumb to pay this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
You gotta be kidding. The prices on all animals I looked at are outrageous. By the way I have two weekold crested geckos for just $200 apiece. LOL

EricIvins

5 Year Member
No, you wouldn't be dumb to pay that for a Basin Yellowfoot.......The people that have Basin Yellowfoots have paid a WHOLE lot more for one animal.......Last I checked though, we were a free market society so if you can't pay it, why post about it? Isn't it easy enough to move onto the next without making a big deal about it?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
If they can sell them for that much then good for them. They arent normal yellowfoots (or at least there not advertised like them) they are the giant amazon basin yellowfoots which get ginormous. I thought it was a pretty outrageous price but when I saw this http://prehistoricpets.com/products/1094-7th-heaven it didnt even compare. Seven snakes for $100,000, WOWZERS!!!

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
well According to the price of the snakes im looking at on that site and the exact same snake here in canada there about 10 grand off.
500 here lol

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
That shop is down the street from my house... I know Jay the owner... he was a big shot in the 80's early 90's with his retic's. And sorry Eric ... yes he is wayyyyy over priced ( you must be buddies?). Funny thing people tend to forget the past ....I used to supply him with leopard geckos 10 years ago .....now it's turned into a kiddie zoo at his shop ...." Get this " ... you CAN'T even view any of the animals for sale until you pay 7 bucks ( which of course is refundable once you purchase something) ....what a crack of S*** ! Most of the folks who work there have no clue what their talking about , oh yea .. for 5 more bucks you can feed the RES ...... " OH BOY" :cool:
And if you want to see 7 adult sullies in a pen 4x6 you've come to the right place. Sad............
Business is a free enterprise.....no doubt , but ya shouldn’t crap were ya eat.... ( if ya know what I mean) he lost my business years ago. The shop exists this day only because of the upper middle class neighborhood it sits in and spoiled kids whose mommy and daddy will fork over $1500 for a 1 hour petting party with reptiles!.....

Just my 2 cents .....( about what he paid me for the geckos , then marked up them up to $ 50 bucks) :(

JD~

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Interesting thread on either side of the argument. $1500 doesn't seem unreasonable for a amazon basin Yellowfoot, but is it an actual amazon basin Yellowfoot or just your everyday version? Is there any real way to tell?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah he got those in from the same group that mine came from about 3-4 years ago from peru. I paid 450 each for mine, but thats because I met the guy locally. You have to keep in mind though, theres really no limit on true basins, Its pretty rare to see them posted for sale like a normal yellowfoot, or redfoot. Even the monster redfoots are usually never sold to public. They typically just sell amongst breeder or keeper directly. Yellow-foots grow pretty slow, even basins like these being 3-4 years old at 10" your looking at a suriname,guyana,or columbian yellow-foot at 3-4 years old to maybe hit 5". If you took the time and grew them up to breed you can easily get your investment back. As well the joy of these animals is worth the money. Theyre awesome to have. Im actually in the market for a couple of them seeing that mine are showing signs of both being males *shakes fist*.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I don't think a person would be "dumb" to pay it. I think IF this is "the" animal you are wanting and you have the money, plus like the seller, then it's not dumb. To me dumb is only looking at a price tag. Some could and no doubt do say Aladar's owner was "dumb" and paid too much for him, but I don't think his owner feels that way. Price, like beauty, is all in the eye of the beholder. ;)

tortadise said:
Im actually in the market for a couple of them seeing that mine are showing signs of both being males *shakes fist*.

:( Always seems to go that way.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
tyguy35 said:
well According to the price of the snakes im looking at on that site and the exact same snake here in canada there about 10 grand off.
500 here lol

I know most of his snakes that he has for 2500 like the titanium tigers, i can get some from 500 and they even have purple in them....his business may come to hurt if they pass a law to ban rectics...lols.

Yeah I know the Basins are way expensive but 700-800 is what i've seen.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
$90 for a CRESTED GECKO!? sheesh! We sell them for less then that at PETCO, and we are a retail store that is out to get your money.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Ive been in the see them as well, I know he has had them for ALONG time in not to great of a setup. I stopped going there when they started charging you to enter the pet shop to check out the animals.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Charging someone to look at animals in a flippin petshop??? That's California for ya lol. That place wouldnt be open for a day out here in AZ.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Mgridgaway said:
Interesting thread on either side of the argument. $1500 doesn't seem unreasonable for a amazon basin Yellowfoot, but is it an actual amazon basin Yellowfoot or just your everyday version? Is there any real way to tell?

Well...

1. 'Basin' yellow-footed seems to be mostly a hobbyist term applied to the large yellow-footeds (like 'cherry-heads'). Most yellow-footeds hit 16 inches or so, but some make it well past 20 or 24 inches. Most references would tell you that no one knows if this is a different race or type (although there do not seem to be any DNA differences), or the results of a long life and good food, or what.

2. Because tortoises store and mix sperm, the eggs would have been fertilized with a mix of all the DNA from every male the female mated with in the last 3 years. Before I paid that much money, I would want documentation that EVERY male it has been around got over 20 inches long.

3. Having said #2, Tortadise is right- giant tortoises are rarely offered for sale, and would easily be worth the price if they really are. Of course... if the giants are just the result of a good diet and long life, then any yellow-foot in captivity has the potential to get that big! (The fact that most in captivity do not is possibly more due to the cares they get.)

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Madkins007 said:
Mgridgaway said:

Well...

1. 'Basin' yellow-footed seems to be mostly a hobbyist term applied to the large yellow-footeds (like 'cherry-heads'). Most yellow-footeds hit 16 inches or so, but some make it well past 20 or 24 inches. Most references would tell you that no one knows if this is a different race or type (although there do not seem to be any DNA differences), or the results of a long life and good food, or what.

2. Because tortoises store and mix sperm, the eggs would have been fertilized with a mix of all the DNA from every male the female mated with in the last 3 years. Before I paid that much money, I would want documentation that EVERY male it has been around got over 20 inches long.

3. Having said #2, Tortadise is right- giant tortoises are rarely offered for sale, and would easily be worth the price if they really are. Of course... if the giants are just the result of a good diet and long life, then any yellow-foot in captivity has the potential to get that big! (The fact that most in captivity do not is possibly more due to the cares they get.)

So what you're saying is that unless this yellowfoot has a very very detailed provenance, it's pretty much a crap shoot as to whether it'll reach the claimed size?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Pretty much. When I bought mine. It came with a detailed paper on the adults and parents. And import paperwork from peru. However I had to still take the guys word for it. Theu could really be from suriname from a 15" female. No real way to know for certain. Just have to trust some people. Which is getting very far in between now days. So far I have noticed a huge variety of growth in them, with other yellow-footed tortoises I have. But never know, until they get 90 pounds like their "parents"

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
I believe this is that same species of yellowfoot? maybe? from austin stevens anaconda video....
Untitled.png

And.... if thats the case and there are yellowfoots that can get the size of an average sulcatta..... I must say that price is pretty reasonable.....lol

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Jacqui said:
I don't think a person would be "dumb" to pay it. I think IF this is "the" animal you are wanting and you have the money, plus like the seller, then it's not dumb. To me dumb is only looking at a price tag. Some could and no doubt do say Aladar's owner was "dumb" and paid too much for him, but I don't think his owner feels that way. Price, like beauty, is all in the eye of the beholder. ;)

tortadise said:
Im actually in the market for a couple of them seeing that mine are showing signs of both being males *shakes fist*.

:( Always seems to go that way.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.