Young Leopard Tort Not Growing

Elizabeth Hurley

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum! Question for ya...anyone have average growth rates for young leopard tortoises? I've had my little one for almost 2 years and he has yet to grow at all. He was a few months old when I purchased him, now at 2 years old he is only 61 grams. He actually lost weight since I got a weight on him (7 grams). He is eating well, being in Michigan he gets stuff from the yard in the summer and a mix of stuff from the store in the winter. Won't eat hay, even though I offer it all the time. I just don't know what the average growth rate is and if I should be worried at this point.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hello Elizabeth, and a very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Sorry to have read that your tort's losing weight. Have you taken him to a vet? Please post pics of your tort; so as to enable the experts here to help you with suggestions and advice.:)

You could also read "Beginners' Mistake Thread" although you've have your tort for two years. There are also different care sheets that could help you.

Good luck!;)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Welcome to TFO :)

At 2 years old my leopard was 8"long and about 4lbs. Quite a difference there.

It's true that they all grow at different rates but no growth in the first 2 years of life and a weight of only 61 grams lead me to think that your tortoise hasn't been raised with proper hydration. (Hatchlings are 32 grams or so fresh from the egg)
Let's discuss how your tortoise is currently cared for and see if we can help you tweak it to thriving conditions.

What do you use for a tortoise cage?
What bedding do you use?
How often does he drink, self soak or get a bath from you?
What temperatures do you provide in his cage? Daytime, nighttime, basking area..
Would you say his bedding is dry and dusty or damp and warm?

Or post a photo, they are with 1,000 words! Hehe

I've raised leopards in warm, damp environments to simulate their natural conditions over there in Africa. It's produced great results including fast, smooth growth. Hopefully we can help you get set up to do the same. :)

P.s. Don't worry about feeding hay. Mine have never eaten it. They like fresh greens much more ;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I have to agree with Heather, it should be much bigger and surely have grown. Please read Toms threads below in my post for proper housing, temps and humidity. Also feeding soaked Mazuri tortoise diet a couple times a week should help put some growth on, but proper temps and humidity is very important first.

Elizabeth Hurley

Yes seen the vet, dewormed twice.
Currently in a large Rubbermaid tub, screen top
Mostly paper towel, some coconut fiber, damp w/ a hide over the coconut
Try to soak daily but we miss some days
Warm side = 80-85, cool side is usually around 70

I offer Mazuri all the time and he won't touch it! I keep trying and he keeps pushing it out of the way for his greens

I've been reading a ton on here, looks like he's too dry and not getting enough food. I feel like a bad tort momma:(

Attachments

• 20151018_213917.jpg
    20151018_213917.jpg
    947.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 20151018_213838.jpg
    20151018_213838.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where did you get the tortoise and how was it started in its first few days and weeks of life?

Also, most regular leopards won't eat hay, and little ones almost never will. Heck many regular leopards don't even like fresh green grass.

Elizabeth Hurley

I have no idea how he was started. I took pity on the poor little guy, found him in a filthy pet store. He was in an enclosure with bearded dragons and had crickets climbing all over him. I talked the guy down in price but I couldn't just leave him there.

Yea I'm realizing that. Once in a while he will eat grass but never hay and never Mazuri

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Personally, I'd ditch the paper towel. Those absorb moisture and you don't want to do that.
Can he have coconut bedding in the entire tub?

I also worry the temps will be too low once he's on damp substrate.
I kept my lowest temps at 80 and the hottest ranged 95-100.

I don't think the diet is an issue. Yard weeds are great.
I would suggest you improve his enclosure to help keep him better hydrated. At this point, I wouldn't expect him to grow at a fast rate like my guy and the other well hydrated babies have grown. But hopefully you'll see some improvement after the changes.

Alaskamike

South Florida
A note on Mazuri.
I happen to like using it , especially as part of a young ones diet. You said he likes greens - I used to wet the Mazuri until is was mushy and mix it into and on the greens.

My baby leopards ate it up.

I've done this with other foods I wanted them to eat - chopped it up together and they get a bit of variety with every bite

Good fortune to you :)

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Can you cover the tub so that the humidity won't escape through the screen? What kind of lighting and heating are you using? What is your basking and night temps?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Is 80-85 the warmest his enclosure gets?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Humidity and hydration are good points to consider, but I would focus on increasing the temperatures as well. A high around 100 would be ideal with average daytime temperatures around 90 and nigh time temperatures no lower than 75.

Turbotort

Florida
When you went to the vet did they say if they found worms or that to just treat it just incase. Was it panacure?

Elizabeth Hurley

Sorry it took me so long to give an update. Checked a fecal yesterday, clear. Made a new enclosure, upped temp and humidity. Switched to MVB but basking temp is closer to 110 now... Gained 9 grams in a week:) Been mixing in Mazuri with greens, still picks it out but I think he is at least getting some of it.