Young T. hermanni "playing"

Iochroma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco
I read somewhere that the torts that grow up in rocky habitats and have to climb a lot, are much more bold and adventurous. Makes sense. They're less afraid of a face-plant.
I think I will try to build more features like this shelf-thingy into my next indoor environment.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That was cute, I liked it when the one that had been sitting up there for a while pushed the other one off the "Cliff", I guess he got tired of being walked on :)

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I think the pen has been stocked with shredded wood excelsior, which makes a nice ladder and landing pad. I wish it were easier to find this stuff. In the old days it was used as packing material.

Last edited:

ladyengineer

If it helps, I've seen my little tunisian do something similar! when I visit my mum sometimes at the weekend, my mum has a little holding pen for him (he comes with us) with a big rock in it with sloping sides. He climbs the rock and slides down the steeps sides, walks round the pen, climbs back up and jumps off again. My mum sits watching him going "OH MY GOD!!! Oh, he's ok... OH NO! DON'T! Phew, he's ok...". Next time we're there I'll try and get a video.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Cute video!! The drop is higher than I'd ever feel comfortable with, but these little torts seem to be pros now at flipping themselves upright! An important lesson :)