Your Cypress Mulch Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
I am currently using a coconut coir and play sand mixture for my substrate.

I like it, except for the fact that since I keep it moist, it sticks to the tortoises, and then gets all over the food. Not really a big, big deal but I am sure the torts don't like the taste anyways :p.

So anyways, I was thinking of going over to cypress mulch. I have two hatchling Leo's (7 months and 18 months).

What are your experiences with how well it holds humidity and the hatchlings maneuverability on it.

Like how well they move around. Do they easily get poked with things?

I have heard a lot of people say they use it, but besides coconut coir being sticky and getting over the food, I feel it's a much safer substrate.

I guess I can just picture my guys (since they are younger) walking about and there be a piece sticking up and cutting them.

Thanks in advance!

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
In my humble opinion, Cypress mulch is the best substrate. It assists in keeping humidity trapped, it's cheap and lasts for a long time. it also doesn't get ingested as often as soil, coir/ sand mixture or pellets. It is also great for garden mulch after it is too dirty for the tortoises.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
I tried coconut coir and had the same happen it was sticking everywhere and i was worried about her eyes as it got on her face too. I went looking for Cypress mulch but could not find it so i got Orchid Bark i had read good hings about it so i have changed over to this, its really good she can walk on it ok it does not stick to her and it does not smell it is also in small pieces so does not look like it will hurt her.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hi I have two as well with cypress mulch I have not had any problems so far I also use sphagnum moss to hold the humidity they get around no problem

Attachments

• tortoise 002.JPG
    tortoise 002.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 49

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Thanks guys.

Might have to give it a shot. It's not that expensive and I need to switch out the coconut coir anyways.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Seiryu said:
I am currently using a coconut coir and play sand mixture for my substrate.

I like it, except for the fact that since I keep it moist, it sticks to the tortoises, and then gets all over the food. Not really a big, big deal but I am sure the torts don't like the taste anyways :p.

So anyways, I was thinking of going over to cypress mulch. I have two hatchling Leo's (7 months and 18 months).

What are your experiences with how well it holds humidity and the hatchlings maneuverability on it.

Like how well they move around. Do they easily get poked with things?

I have heard a lot of people say they use it, but besides coconut coir being sticky and getting over the food, I feel it's a much safer substrate.

I guess I can just picture my guys (since they are younger) walking about and there be a piece sticking up and cutting them.

Thanks in advance!

I've been using the cypress mulch (from the pet store) since I got my first tort in January. He and I both like it. It's odorless, holds moisture well. I've not had any trouble with Torty getting poked by it. He has ingested tiny pieces that cling to his food and just passes them through. The cypress gets into the living plants in the tanks and just works in with the soil, no problem. I do use sphagnum in the sleeping areas, and keep the moss and the cypress pretty damp. I pick the tanks clean every day and have only done a complete change on Torty's tank once in 9 months. Yay!

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
Its great it doesnt poke them As they are used to worse in the wild, like spines and cactus and stuff. u should use it Its great.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
murdocjunior said:
Its great it doesnt poke them As they are used to worse in the wild, like spines and cactus and stuff. u should use it Its great.

There are no naturally occurring cactus where Leopard torts come from... and I have zero experience with Cypress mulch with which to answer to OP's original question, but I use lots of coco coir and fine coco fiber with no problem. Its a little messy for a few days then it packs down and works great. The problem is possibly your playsand. This is one reason why I never use sand in any mixture or by itself.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Cypress mulch is a godsend. Helps with humidity, doesn't rot or really deteriorate with time, can be kept wet or dry, no noticeable odor, doesn't promote bugs/flies/gnats, looks great, and is cheap if you can find it.

All in all, it's a great multi-use substrate

Madortoise

5 Year Member
I tried a lot of different things and settled for the cypress mulch for reasons already mentioned above.
I like them in my CDT's hide/sleeping area outside. It seems to keep moisture well; it stays clean and is relatively low maintenance. I see sometimes some pieces get inside of the tort's shell through the opening (neck & legs) but you can easily pull them out and tort does not seem to be bothered much. You could probably crush them a little to make the pieces smaller for smaller torts.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am going to be the negative person in this thread it seems. I have (and still keep trying it:rolleyes:) used the cypress mulch in several enclosures and I really don't like it as well. I don't think from observing my tortoises, that they "like" or use the areas with the mulch as much as they do the coir/sand. The mulch just is too ummm maybe harsh is the wood I want to use. It's not soft, but a little pointy. I have to admit, it is a lot cheaper and less work for me to use it, but what counted most to me, was my tortoises votes. :D

I should add that the above is with my young or small tortoises. It seems to work well with the larger sulcatas and Leopards.

chadk

10 Year Member!
I'm using the fine ground stuff (forst floor or something from the pet store) and really like it for my indoor torts and hatchlings. I have not found it to be harsh or anything on them. They are able to dig down into it and as noted, it holds up well in humid environments without rotting, stinking, molding, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.