your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

james

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
san diego
there was a debate about this on a bearded dragon forum i belong too. just wondering everyone's thoughts were about it here...

this lady went to the local home depot, or something similar, and gave someone measurements for an enclosure they were building. showed the guy pictures and everything. he cut the wood to her measurements. when she got home she found out the "2x4's" aren't really 2"x4". they are in fact 1.5"x3.5" so her plywood wouldn't fit. i had no knowledge of it, and neither did most people.

so do you guys/girls think it's common knowledge, something the customer should ask, or something the lumber yard should inform you about?

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i learned this at an early age for some reason. i remember my grandfather teaching me this when he helped me build an aquarium stand.
a "2x4" is actually 1 and 5/8" by 3 and 5/8"

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I don't think it is common knowledge, but it is the standard. My hubby is in construction so we are familiar.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I have had 2x4s and larger cut to size at a HD. When I just go in and tell someone I want them cut to XX size they will cut to that size. But when I showed them plans it changed. They were very helpful and told me that not all wood is equal and the measurements were not all the same.
He looked at my plans and asked what I was using it for and what size plywood (1/4", 1/2", 3/4") I was planning on using. Then told me the cut would be slightly different in size due to the difference in the size of wood and the person cutting them took into consideration what I was going to do with them. So perhaps the person cutting the wood for her was inexperience, or I just lucked out and got someone who really knew his stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.