ZEROPILOT'S thread got me thinking...and wondering

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Everyone should make plans asap. Hate to be a downer but we can die at any time (as I am sure you know!). I lost my husband this year and he was 47. Luckily I have my oldest son who is 19. I told him before I bought Tyrion that he will probably out live me and he has to take over.
Very sorry to hear that.
There is no guarantee that because someone is a certain age that it means that you will die either before or after them.
Just like with property or jewelry or anything that you're going to leave, you need to make your wishes known.
tomorrow isn't guaranteed to happen for any of us.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
1 used to worry about this a lot,and was hoping one of my children would have them,but I really don't think they are torty people.
They would look after them but I don't think they would give the care and attention they need,so over the years I have made friends on various forums and my Russians will go to a lady called Debbie in Plymouth,my Greeks will be going to Manchester,now I only have to find someone that will care for my Tunisians and if something happened to me before i did,they too would go to Plymouth ,and I know Debbie would look after them until she found someone suitable.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I am lucky in that I have a good critter support system. I can think of 4 people who (If I kick off unexpectedly soon) will likely sit down and hash out who will have the torts best interests in mind. I would assume they would stay with my boyfriend for a while, but if he were unable to care for them or had to change living situations since my income wouldn't be paying half the bills I know there are people who will put Ruby and Vern first.

We also have the long term plan of seeing which one of Chris' kids will potentially inherit them WAY down the line. He has 3 boys who are very young right now who love critters, but it is anyone's guess as to if they will want them still in 20 years.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you have no one, at least at this point. Do what I am hoping to do when that time comes. If my son doesn't want them, which at this point he has no interest and if none of my niece or newphews or greag nieces and nephews want them, I am hoping that a forum member will take them. Find someone on the forum that you like, that you know has the room and funds to take care of them and start getting to know them better to feel them out if they would be willing adopter.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
If you have no one, at least at this point. Do what I am hoping to do when that time comes. If my son doesn't want them, which at this point he has no interest and if none of my niece or newphews or greag nieces and nephews want them, I am hoping that a forum member will take them. Find someone on the forum that you like, that you know has the room and funds to take care of them and start getting to know them better to feel them out if they would be willing adopter.

That's what I've done,although I'm still hopeful my grandson will start showing torty person signs and the Tunisians can stay with him

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I REALLY have thought of that quite a few times as well. Overall, I don't know anyone who would be serious about taking care of my tortoises that I know personally.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
I REALLY have thought of that quite a few times as well. Overall, I don't know anyone who would be serious about taking care of my tortoises that I know personally.

I know a few that would take them,but nobody i would really trust,

ShannonC

South Carolina
I am in the "lucky" crowd. My youngest daughter, who is 21 right now, is an animal lover!! She is working through college as a dog trainer and has several reptiles of her own. She has also taken time to learn about their basic care and knows what weeds to feed and NOT feed. (we feed our Bearded Dragons the same weeds and flowers as the torts) She is not necessarily a tort person, but she has enough love for animals (and for her mother) that she would take over their immediate care and also make sure that they got great homes, if she didn't want to keep them. We have talked about this many times. I have made it clear to her that I trust her to make the right decisions for herself AND the tortoises.