Long term care plan

Mary <3

What us your long term care plan? Surfergirl's recent post mentioned how the long term care plan was already established for her 20 yr old sully. I have verbal commitment from my son for Brutus and Baby Girl's long term care. This is def something we should all have in place as the expectation is they will outlive us. I like the idea of a trust fund, especially when you think about what you are expecting someone to take on when you expire. So what are some of your long term care plan ideas? (Incl pics of your loved ones)

Attachments

• 1456227193136.jpg
    1456227193136.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 1456227207596.jpg
    1456227207596.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 1456227228536.jpg
    1456227228536.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 1456227256455.jpg
    1456227256455.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 24

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
I certainly loved yhe idea of a trust fund. The only problem is that the way she set it up was verbally. Now, she has a family who she trusts and I don't doubt whoever is trusted with her tort's care, will indeed do the right thing.
But, death can bring out the worst in people. "Sure," says a family member/friend. Then, when you die, they take the money, and the tort is up for adoption or worse.
That's why I was seriously thinking of setting up a real, legal trust fund. It'll be expensive, but no one will just take the money and abandon my torts.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I certainly loved yhe idea of a trust fund. The only problem is that the way she set it up was verbally. Now, she has a family who she trusts and I don't doubt whoever is trusted with her tort's care, will indeed do the right thing.
But, death can bring out the worst in people. "Sure," says a family member/friend. Then, when you die, they take the money, and the tort is up for adoption or worse.
That's why I was seriously thinking of setting up a real, legal trust fund. It'll be expensive, but no one will just take the money and abandon my torts.
That is the only way to do it to ensure the money goes for what it was intended.

Wooly

My leopards are going to my kids! 1 to my son and the other to my daughter! When they have children they will be passed on to them! Both my kids have good knowledge of how to look after them! My son is now 28 and my daughter is 25image.jpeg

cassieopia

5 Year Member
Central Arkansas, Zone 3
Either my daughter Andromeda or my nephew Andrew will have my guy. They are the best with his care. Andi is 15 and knows a lot about him, Andrew is only 7 but loves him! Feeds him almost every day and will sit and talk to him for hours!

surfergirl

We have witnessed the worse when someone dies in our extended family. My immediate family doesn't behave this way, when my Dad died i was able to witness this first hand. none of my sibilings or nieces and nephews did anything inappropriate or concerning. Everyone behave perfectly.

I do not think i would just trust someone who has not demonstrated this control. I agree you can setup a real legal trust but there are always loop holes, poor mgmnt that can occur, it is still a trust endeavor. I think you have to go by the saying "you will know the tree by the fruit it bears".

SarahM82

5 Year Member
Valley Springs, CA
Our babies will be with one (or more) of our children. We own 7 1/2 acres, passed down from my grandparents to my dad to me and then it will go on to my children. Which ever one(s) stay here will most likely keep our torts so they never have to move homes. We will have everything here set up and established. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1456714720.153193.jpg

surfergirl

Sounds like a great plan to me! It is really about the planning! Making sure you have someone who wants to care for them.

chaseswife

5 Year Member
I have nothing set in stone yet, my sulcata is 1.5 years old and my kids are 12, 11, 10, 7, and 3. I am certain that in the future at least one of them will be in a situation to take care of him. I am only 32, so hopefully this is not something we need to worry about for a very long time.