Zilla 500 watt temperature controller question

edricivan

My temps are as follows.

basking 37-38 deg C
warm 29-30 deg C
cool 27-28 deg C

The instructions say I should put the probe in the basking spot, shouldn't it be in the warm area? That's where my 4 month old hatchling's humid hide is. He also has one on the cool spot but he uses this one to sleep in. The hide is right under the CHE.

I have no idea what the night temp is, I just have the CHE programmed to turn on for 15 mins every hour until his basking lamp turns on again. I'm replacing the timer with the thermostat tomorrow.

Should I put the thermostat under the basking area or the warm area?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I put my probe in the coldest area, and use my thermostat to maintain the low temp. I have leopard tortoises so I do not want anywhere to be less than 80F. I use a temp gun to set the the temp where it maintains that in the coldest spot. Does this make sense?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would not put it under the basking area. The basking is the hottest spot. You need to know the other areas, the cooler spots. A temp gun is a great tool to have and they are not expensive.

edricivan

I put my probe in the coldest area, and use my thermostat to maintain the low temp. I have leopard tortoises so I do not want anywhere to be less than 80F. I use a temp gun to set the the temp where it maintains that in the coldest spot. Does this make sense?

Yeap I have a temp gun to measure my temp gradients. I guess I'll do it the same way. I'll place the probe closer to the cool spot. Thanks!