Zoo Med Day and Night Reptile Bulb??

Status
Not open for further replies.

laramie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi everyone :D I was just wondering if anyone here has ever used the Zoo Med Day and Night Reptile Bulbs? I just got them today and wanted to know if anyone has any opinions on them? There is one for the day and one for the night time, they are 60 watts each.

Thank You:D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Are they the combo pack sold in the one box? I saw them but have had no personal use of them....let us know how they work.

Is my memory serving me correctly when remembering them as the compact bulbs? (Not compact coil but just the short compact bulbs) ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, they're the regular incandescent bulbs. Really all they're good for is heat. The day bulb is blue glass and it makes things look brighter. The tortoises may see that spectrum better than we do, but don't be misled into thinking it is offering UV. Its not. And the night bulb is just a red bulb.

Since it is getting harder and harder to find incandescent black bulbs, this product may be a pretty good substitute for night time...that is, if you also have use of the day bulb.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Never purchased those bulbs before but I use light bulbs to warm my incubator and used to paint them with glass paint to keep it "nighttime" but still get heat. Might save you a couple $ to DIY when those burn out : ) just a thought!

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
It's getting hard to find any incandescent lights down here. These lights may end up being one of the few options before long.

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks everyone for all of your comments. So far, Wilbur seems to be happy with them. Yes, they do come in a combo pack and they are small bulbs. Thanks again everyone:D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I'm not a fan. Tortoises see the full color spectrum and into the IV range. I prefer to offer them a true night-time experience at night, and to use a true white light during the day. I do not see a benefit to using colored bulbs that may (and repeat, only MAY) interfere with proper eye development and so on.

DanaDale18

5 Year Member
Madera, CA
as mentioned above the bulbs are regular bulbs. and using a full color bulb (white) during the day is best. i use bulbs at night for heat all red if i have to. would prefer to use heat pads but they just don't heat the air. have witnessed bulbs being used on a pretty big scale and have not witnessed any eye problems. i don't know about az but ca is banning incandecsent bulbs. your better off just using plain bulbs and not pay for the name is the moral of the story. hope this info helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.