Zoo Med Reptisafe water condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nharr2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I am curious if anyone has ever used Zoo Meds product called reprisafe in your torts water? I have a leopard and a sulcata, do they really need water conditioner? We have well water so its pretty much like rain water and I soak them everyday for about 30 minutes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I THINK that product is for water turtles.

nharr2

5 Year Member
Illinois
It lists snakes, lizards, turtles, tortoises, amphibians, hermit crabs, and arachnids in what it is used for, but I am always a little scared to put something in their food/water that they cant get "naturally"

River14

5 Year Member
Ya taP Water is fine, even better is tap water in an open tub that has matured for a few days for all the chlorine to evaporate.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I use Seachem Prime for my water turtles (a similar dechlorinating product that removes 100% of chlorine and chloramine) but really it is not necessary with your tortoise. Some animals are sensitive to chlorine and chloramine, but I have never had a sensitivity issue with a tortoise. I use it for my water turtles simply because they actually spend most of their time immersed in the water, and when you open your eyes underwater in a chlorine treated swimming pool, it rather sucks.

If you live outside of town and have a well, most likely there is no need for treatment anyway. You can also get a report from your city that will tell you what chemicals they treat the water with.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
This just made me wonder something, I have a water softner, but our tap water has a filter, so that should be fine right? In AZ our water is hard, so we use softners and then filters for drinking water.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
plane water for me outta' tap has not killed him yet soo......
Plus i think things like that are just excuses to rob you blind of money!

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I use unsoftened well water for the torts. The additional calcium supplements what they get from their diet. Water softened by a typical resin softener has an elevated sodium content which although not necessarily abnormal in nature, is much less common than an elevated calcium content.

Status
Not open for further replies.