10 inches Radiata

Spiny

5 Year Member
The dome is not perfectly rounded. Is it by nature or what can be fed to make it nicer?

Attachments

• IMG_0712.jpg
    IMG_0712.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_0738.jpg
    IMG_0738.jpg
    936.6 KB · Views: 345

Radiated

5 Year Member
not exactly natural in my opinion but its so large already so it cant really get much better, but still a very nice tortoise. The shell isnt too bad.

What is the enclosure? What do you feed it currently

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Spiny, and welcome to the Forum!!

If you keep your radiata in that blue tub like that all the time, then your poor tortoise is in jail. How about fixing it up a little bit. Give him some dirt to dig in, and a hiding place. Maybe a little plant to look at and walk around.

Your tortoise is beautiful.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello and Welcome to TFO!! :) really nice shell patterns :)

Spiny

5 Year Member
Radiated said:
not exactly natural in my opinion but its so large already so it cant really get much better, but still a very nice tortoise. The shell isnt too bad.

What is the enclosure? What do you feed it currently

The enclosure is only the 3ft by 2 ft tub. I feed cactus and supermarket vege(Cai Xin in chinese), is it ok?

Yvonne G said:
Hi Spiney, and welcome to the Forum!!

If you keep your radiata in that blue tub like that all the time, then your poor tortoise is in jail. How about fixing it up a little bit. Give him some dirt to dig in, and a hiding place. Maybe a little plant to look at and walk around.

Your tortoise is beautiful.

Thank you Yvonne for your advice. Will plan for a proper setup with substrate and UVB. I have a concern on the daily waste maintenance, if we put top soil or forest floor as substrate, wonder how you manage it?
And, at 10 t0 11 inches, is UVB light or night time heating element necessary?

shanu303 said:
Hello and Welcome to TFO!! :) really nice shell patterns :)

Thanks Shanu!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
UVB is always necessary....if your tortoise is getting outside regularly (30mins minimum for 3/4 days a week) then you can slip the artificial UVB lighting. However if you can't offer it outdoor time regularly or consistently then you should still provide indoor UVB.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

Spiny

5 Year Member
theelectraco said:
UVB is always necessary....if your tortoise is getting outside regularly (30mins minimum for 3/4 days a week) then you can slip the artificial UVB lighting. However if you can't offer it outdoor time regularly or consistently then you should still provide indoor UVB.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

This tortoise don't get to go outdoor at all......and the sunlight she could get is from the balcony or windows, for a few hrs a day. That is, provided it is hot and sunny for the day.

I will get a UVB lught for her. She is not passing waste everyday, sometimes, is it due to rainny weather we had here for past couple days?
But she is eating ok.

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
Spiny said:
theelectraco said:

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

This tortoise don't get to go outdoor at all......and the sunlight she could get is from the balcony or windows, for a few hrs a day. That is, provided it is hot and sunny for the day.

I will get a UVB lught for her. She is not passing waste everyday, sometimes, is it due to rainny weather we had here for past couple days?
But she is eating ok.

Rainy weather equal lower temperature - food will take longer to digest SO should be normal .

Try soaking her with warm water every day , helps in getting her to pass motion .

cheers

Spiny

5 Year Member
emystiong said:
Spiny said:
theelectraco said:

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

But she is eating ok.

Rainy weather equal lower temperature - food will take longer to digest SO should be normal .

Try soaking her with warm water every day , helps in getting her to pass motion .

cheers

Yes bro, i an doing that.
Apart fr soak, i also use shower to simulate rain. Will it be ok? Will water get inside her nostris or cause him get flu?

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
With no additional heat ( other than some sunlight that might get thru only on sunny day ) are you over doing it a little with the " rain " ?

Just a warm water soak will do , I think !! Water getting into nostril for a healthy animal is OK .

Cheers

Radiated

5 Year Member
caixin isnt exactly the best, you need a better enclosure than a tub. A tub isnt going to work. soil or forest floor is perfectly ok, you can just remove the waste.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
You need to give more variety of foods to your radiata. Only 2 kind of food will not cause your radiata to die, but it might suffer from other problem caused by lack of nutrition.

Spiny

5 Year Member
emystiong said:
With no additional heat ( other than some sunlight that might get thru only on sunny day ) are you over doing it a little with the " rain " ?

Just a warm water soak will do , I think !! Water getting into nostril for a healthy animal is OK .

Cheers

Thanks bro....noted.

Radiated said:
caixin isnt exactly the best, you need a better enclosure than a tub. A tub isnt going to work. soil or forest floor is perfectly ok, you can just remove the waste.

Thanks bro, noted

Yellow Turtle said:
You need to give more variety of foods to your radiata. Only 2 kind of food will not cause your radiata to die, but it might suffer from other problem caused by lack of nutrition.

Aprt from Cactus, Caixin, I also feed some broccoli, is it sufficient?
And, if Lettuce good? I heard it has no nutritional value but all water...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Beautiful tort that does need a much bigger enclosure. Check out the tortoisetable.org for all kinds of edible items. You should add as much variety as possible.

Radiated

5 Year Member
I wouldnt feed broccoli. maybe some youmaicai, jielan, xiaoyoucai, kongxincai, xianrenzhang, sangye, putaoye, sanyecao, pugongying, pusangmu huaheye, and others.

Spiny

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:) Beautiful tort that does need a much bigger enclosure. Check out the tortoisetable.org for all kinds of edible items. You should add as much variety as possible.

Bro, noted and will do something about this

Radiated said:
I wouldnt feed broccoli. maybe some youmaicai, jielan, xiaoyoucai, kongxincai, xianrenzhang, sangye, putaoye, sanyecao, pugongying, pusangmu huaheye, and others.

What is youmaicai? Which of the above most nutrition or calcium rich?

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I never would feed broccoli, it's high in oxalates which is a calcium binding compound. To much of it and it'll literally pull the calcium from the bones.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Radiated said:
I wouldnt feed broccoli. maybe some youmaicai = indian lettuce, jielan = variant of kale, xiaoyoucai = variant of brasicca, kongxincai = kangkong, xianrenzhang = cactus, sangye = mulberry leaves, putaoye = grape leaves, sanyecao = clover, pugongying = dandelion, pusangmu huaheye = ?, and others.

That's what I find above after googling for a while, but what is pusangmu huaheye?

Spiny

5 Year Member
Yellow Turtle said:
Radiated said:
I wouldnt feed broccoli. maybe some youmaicai = indian lettuce, jielan = variant of kale, xiaoyoucai = variant of brasicca, kongxincai = kangkong, xianrenzhang = cactus, sangye = mulberry leaves, putaoye = grape leaves, sanyecao = clover, pugongying = dandelion, pusangmu huaheye = ?, and others.

That's what I find above after googling for a while, but what is pusangmu huaheye?

Is Kang kong good? I used to feed that to little stars, always die

Radiated

5 Year Member
Pusangmu is like Hibiscus. Flower and leaves. They shouldn't die if they eat kangkong. Many people in china feed. Where are you located