10 Tips On How To Brush Your Dog's Teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

priya

1. Start Young: Start them young so that they will get used to brushing from an early age. Just like training a dog, we want them to be comfortable with brushing teeth from young.

2. Don't Rush: When starting to brush your dog's teeth, don't rush if they reject it at first.

3. Use Dog Toothpaste With Flavor: One way to make them love brushing teeth is the flavoured toothpaste for dog. They come in beef, chicken, lamb.

4. Be Gentle: Puppy teeth is soft so be gentle.

5. Let Them Think Brushing Is A Game: All dogs love to play. So make brushing teeth as a game & not a chore.

6. Award: Award them with happy words & encouragment after brushing. Don't give treat as the main point of brushing is to clean their teeth.

7. Use Suitable Toothbrush & Toothpaste: Use dog toothbrush or kids toothbrush for dogs. As for toothpaste, use only dog toothpaste. Dog cannot use human tootpaste as they may be toxic for dogs. Besides dog can't gargle.

8. Remember To Clean The Inside Of The Teeth: Ocasionally we tend to forgot to clean the inside area of the teeth, usually concentrating on the front side only.

9. Try Using Finger As Toothbrush: If using toothbrush fails, try using your finger as toothbrush. ;)

10. Prolong Life: What is the main reason to brush our dog's teeth? It's to prolong their life. Dogs with bad teeth usually will have less appetite, slum into depression and so on. A healthy teeth is a happy dog!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I tried brushing my dog's teeth once now they call me stumpy.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
dmmj said:
I tried brushing my dog's teeth once now they call me stumpy.

Is that real? or a joke? Sorry :)

Good advice, but my dog ownt let us do it either so we jsut give her stuff to chew on eant for their teth!

xx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It was a spammer, with the spam link having been removed from the signature. However, the info on brushing teeth was good stuff, so the post was left on the forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The body of the post isn't spam, but they had a link in their signature line that took you to a site advertising their product.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's pretty funny, Chad. I especially liked the foreign language sub titles!

Lettuce

5 Year Member
I started brushing my dogs teeth at a young age, well, she brushed them herself, and we stopped for a while, and now she refuses. Is it because we stopped or is it because of the toothpaste?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lettuce:

994064xtdtdpuui3.gif

to the forum!!

This forum really isn't about dogs, its a tortoise forum. There probably aren't many dog experts here. I doubt you'll get any insight into teeth brushing.

Do you have turtles and tortoises?

(And please remember, we don't allow any spamming on the forum!)

AJS

5 Year Member
Lettuce said:
...well, she brushed them herself...

Awesome! :D

I don't brush my dogs teeth, raw bones keep them clean. ;)

R

rosty

I have also never thought about brushing teeth of my dog. But it seems good idea. . Is there any bad effect if we ignore there oral cavity?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
rosty said:
I have also never thought about brushing teeth of my dog. But it seems good idea. . Is there any bad effect if we ignore there oral cavity?

Rosty: Let me remind you there is no spamming allowed on this forum. So I"ve deleted the link you showed in this thread. Another such abuse and you will be banned.

A

Akela

It helps to act as if you are playing with the dog using the toothbrush. When my dog believes it is a game, she is much more accepting of the procedure. Not that I brush her teeth anymore:)

J

jackyronell

As we take care of our teeth it's really necessary to take care of our dogs teeth. Use dog toothpaste and let your dog taste it. Chances are if she like the taste she will cooperate, it's usual that dogs refuse a particular taste after some sessions. If your dog don't like that taste then try to change the flavour.

Status
Not open for further replies.