1st time posting but need help

flush

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, California
I have a problem right now i have an indoor enclosure for my RF and I can't get rid of the fruit flies or gnats. I have a indoor bug zapper for about couple weeks now but doesn't seems to be doing much, I mean it kills a whole lot of them but there's still **** load of them. Sorry for the language but its bad, I can't even do an outdoor enclosure cause I live in California and I'm pretty sure they can't handle our weather. I'm still new to the tortoise game so any help is welcomed. I can post pictures of the enclosure its plain and crappy I'm embarrassed by it lol.

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
I have a problem right now i have an indoor enclosure for my RF and I can't get rid of the fruit flies or gnats. I have a indoor bug zapper for about couple weeks now but doesn't seems to be doing much, I mean it kills a whole lot of them but there's still **** load of them. Sorry for the language but its bad, I can't even do an outdoor enclosure cause I live in California and I'm pretty sure they can't handle our weather. I'm still new to the tortoise game so any help is welcomed. I can post pictures of the enclosure its plain and crappy I'm embarrassed by it lol.
No need to be embarrassed. I would suggest you still post them. there's real knowledgable people here that can help with your enclosure and perhaps point out anything that may be harming your little guy on the long run.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The gnats come from left over fruit/food and moist substrate.

There are many, many RF keepers in the Central Valley of California. It certainly CAN be done. You just need to provide lots of shade, good cover from the sun and plenty of moisture.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What you are seeing is phorid flies. They are harmless detrivores and they come from the surrounding environment. Your warm humid enclosure makes a perfect place for them to live, breed and conduct their business. They are a clean up crew and they eat the stuff you don't want to have in your enclosure anyway. The only way to get rid of them is to boil, bake, freeze or replace your substrate every two weeks or so. To me this isn't practical, so I just tolerate them. They eventually reach a balance and their numbers are greatly reduced.

flush

Sacramento, California
Oh that another stress gone as long is not problem for the tortoise, then the only problem now is he or she don't know yet lives next to me lol. Like its enclosure is in the bedroom with me. But I guess I can deal with it for now until I get a bigger enclosure. Thanks y'all so much thought they where hurting my tortoise.