2.5 year old Leopard

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Wow...creating posts on my phone doesn't work very well.. The typo in a title wasn't there before and the pics are out of order. ?
Eh, oh well...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks good there Heather. It is hard to believe how the tiny little things they were when they are first purchased as hatchlings could have come from the big guys they are now.

Btw, how's your weather there at this time? Adjusting well I hope. From what I have read in other posts, your loving your new state and home. Is this now your perminent home, or are you renting and still looking for the one to buy?
Levi doesn't seem to be affected at all:D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Hey Barb, we've handled fall just fine, winter is next!
The heated house is holding up temps so far. It drops into the 20s at night but Levi stays a toasty 80F!

I do love it here so far.
We are renting our house with the option to buy after 1 year. :cool: we'll see!

I'm happy I still have Levi. I miss all the other torts at times...but I made the right choice just keeping 1.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
(Thanks to the mod who fixed my title)

I love this guy, too. I gotta post some of his first photos...so you can see his transition

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
He is beautiful Heather! How much does he weigh? he is already a bit bigger than my almost 6 year old Mort, aka: Pig Pen. A lot smoother too. Sure wish I would have found this forum 6 years ago instead of just 1 year ago. Mort is just right at 9 inches and 4.3 pounds.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Last I weighed him, he was over 5lbs..

Levi is a smooth leopard with 1 pyramid...lol. I raised him in a 40gallon closed chamber. Then, shortly after he turned 1, I created a "night chamber" for him. Since he lived outside all day long I made a smaller closed chamber for him to sleep in. I thought it was a win-win. He'd still have the humid conditions and I'd save space with using a 10gallon tank. After all, it's just for sleeping, right? ...wrong.
I had a CHE placed over the center. It was plugged into a thermostat set for 80F. I had damp coir substrate and my digital hydrometer displayed an average of 90%.
Well, with the small space, Levi couldn't get away from the CHE. He'd sleep face in a corner with his 4th vertebral scute right under the CHE. Even though the tank had high humidity, I didn't realize the humidity under the CHE was so low.. and I started to see one his vertebral scutes spike up. All of this was right around the time Frances, @lilacdragon joined and enlightened us with details about the desiccating effects of indoor heat sources.
I ditched the small tank and set up a 55 gallon tote closed chamber instead and he slept in that until he was large enough to move outside full time and sleep in his heated house.

Sorry Levi...that was my fault.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
He is beautiful. I love my Mort and he is definitely not perfect. He even has dog scars to go with his pyramids. I was not a good mommy for the first four years of his life. IMG_20141127_093541.jpg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
That is a true beauty! ! ! ! very health looking and very big. I hope my can be that pretty one day.