2 Hermann’s in same enclosure

cici1

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Is it okay to keep 2 Hermann’s in the same enclosure? They are about the size of a quarter and in a cement tub to start. I keep reading conflicting things. Appreciate the help! First timer here

Attachments

• IMG_1560.jpeg
    IMG_1560.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
One will start bullying the other. I would not. Welcome to the forum.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello welcome to the forum! Cute torts🥰

I’m afraid they can’t be kept together, no species of tortoise should be kept in a pair, it’s very stressful for the both of them and one can actually stunt the others growth. Following each other around and eating together is actually bullying behaviour, that will eventually become more aggressive.
They need separating asap👍

Whist you’re here I don’t suppose you’d mind answering a few questions? It’s so good to know how new members are keeping their tortoises, don’t worry if you don’t have all the answers, just answer what you can🙂

What size enclosure do you plan to keep each of these babies in? Something like a 4x4 or 4x3 each would last a while, once fully grown they each need something closer to a 8x4.

What are your temperatures like? Ie basking temp?(directly under the bulb) all over day temp? Night temps?

How’s your humidity reading? Young hatchlings need a higher humidity which is difficult to achieve with an open top, we can talk through a cost effective closed chamber🙂

What type of basking light are you using? You want an incandescent floodlight(example attached)

What type of uv do you use? T5 fluorescent tube lights are recommended, the trouble with compact and coil uv bulbs is they’re known to not give out enough uv and can actually hurt the tortoises eyes. Arcadia 12% or zoo med reptisun 10.0 are reputable brands to go for.

What kind of substrate do you use? Safe recommended substrates are coco coir, damp and firmly packed by hand, forest floor or orchid bark(fir not pine). Substrates to avoid are any kind of top soils, sand or anything with sand, and any kind of mosses.

Pictures of your full set up/ packaging of equipment you use is always super helpful!😊

This is also a very good helpful read🙂

Attachments

• IMG_1669.png
    IMG_1669.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1683.png
    IMG_1683.png
    151.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1733.jpeg
    IMG_1733.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 0