2 questions (food & humidity)

Siren Nora

5 Year Member
First off can my leopard eat oranges? She's picky!!! All she wants to eat is chards and mustard greens and cilantro. She refuses everything else. Well the occasional strawberry is a treat.

Next question. I live in Arizona. I made my lil tort a outdoor arena. How do I keep her humid outside?? I know stupid question but she loves it out here! ImageUploadedByTortForum1396129342.463858.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
RE: 2 questions

I would not feed it any fruit . You can feed cactus and its fruit . If you go to the hardware store they sell misters you can put on timers .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA

No - oranges have too much acid in them for young tortoises and leopards aren't supposed to have fruit anyway.

They make little individual-sized misting systems that you can attach to the hose. Put up a stake in the tortoise's outdoor habatat and wire the mister to the stake. You only need to turn on the hose a tiny bit to get a nice mist going from the mister.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

I let the grasses and weeds grow tall and thick in certain areas. Then, I heavily water those spots when it's warm out. The Leopards will hide in there and it's much more humid in the "bush" than it is if they were just sitting out in the open.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

You can't, and that's why I don't let mine live outside full time when they are babies. Yours doesn't look like a tiny baby anymore though. What size is it?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona

At that size, I don't think your tortoise would get much more benefit from humidity than keeping him hydrated and giving him a good soak would do.

Can you take a close up picture? It's hard to see well, but the tortoise looks like it has a nice pattern developing.