2 RES in the same tank

Laura A

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas NV
I have had 2 RES living in the same tank (4 feet long by 1 1/2 feet wide) for 4 years now. I recently ran into several FB posts that say you should not house 2 RES turtles in the same tank. What people describe concerns me. Both of my RES's are female I bought as hatching's and don't fight.

My question is should I re-home one? I don't have the money or space for another set up. Am I endangering my turtles by keeping them together?

Thank You for your advice.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I have had 2 RES living in the same tank (4 feet long by 1 1/2 feet wide) for 4 years now. I recently ran into several FB posts that say you should not house 2 RES turtles in the same tank. What people describe concerns me. Both of my RES's are female I bought as hatching's and don't fight.

My question is should I re-home one? I don't have the money or space for another set up. Am I endangering my turtles by keeping them together?

Thank You for your advice.
How big are they? Do they show any signs of aggression or bullying?

Laura A

Las Vegas NV
How big are they? Do they show any signs of aggression or bullying?

They are both female 7 inches long. They have been together for the last 3 1/2 years.There is very mild signs one is faster usually first at the food. NO aggression from either one just the one pushing past the other to get to the food first.

I just read a lot of stuff about how they should not be together and am worried about it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RES are very dirty and get very big. The tank, if not already too small, will be soon for one, let alone two.
Make plans for a much bigger tank, pond would be better or rehoming one and still upgrading the size.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Is your tank a 55 gallon?
I used to have a female map turtle in with a male RES in a 55g before we knew what sex they were. They were fine when they were 2-4", but once they started getting bigger the tank was too cramped for them each to have enough room where they weren't constantly bumping into each other. Eventually the RES started harassing the map and nipping at her whenever she would come by, to the point where if he swam over she would tuck her legs in defensively and tilt her carapace to brace for an attack. They're about 5-6" now I'd say.

The larger one is now alone in a 75g and the other is in a 55g because it wasn't fair to keep them together like that. If yours are seeming to get along still, you may be able to keep them together in a much larger tank. I think it sounds like they might not have enough room at the moment.

Do you have any pics of their setup?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Chances are if they're both female and that size and they haven't gone at it yet you should be fine housing them together. You are going to need to get a bigger enclosure for them sooner than later though.

Laura A

Las Vegas NV
Thank You to everyone who responded. I have re-homed one for now and have plans to move to a outside pond in the next year.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Thank You to everyone who responded. I have re-homed one for now and have plans to move to a outside pond in the next year.
It sounds like both turtles may be looking forward to a better future [emoji846] keep us updated!

In March it will be 10 years since we got our RES and we're so happy we chose to take him in from someone who recognized they weren't able to provide adequate care.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Sorry you had to let one go. Hard learned lesson, if you have the space, just get the biggest tank. You avoid headaches down the line.