RES refusing veggies

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Hi, I need tips on getting baby RES to eat veggies. I have 2 RES, 1 grew from 1.5" to 2" in a month. The other stayed at 1.5".

So now they're both refusing kale, when they used to love it a lot. I tired spring mix as suggested, but they would take a bite and spit it out. Now they're doing the same. So what should I do to get them to eat their veggies? Thanks!

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
And just to add I hand feed them and I also now feed them individually in separate bowls. Because I noticed the bigger one always eats all the food before the smaller one could get it if I feed them together. The bigger one tries to steal it

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
I've not had a RES, but my understanding is they are predominately carnivorous when small. For my Reeves, who has no interest in salad greens, the tank is full of duckweed and anacharis, which he will munch on periodically. Also I mix in Omega 1 veggie rounds. First ingredients are kelp, spirulina and salmon, so sneaky plant food. For my peninsula cooter I attach collards, dandelion leafs, and endive with binder clips to submerge and she grazes on the salad.

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
I recommend not using kale a lot instead use collard greens and turnip greens. How do you have them set up?.
"How do you have them set up" do you mean my tank? Sorry I don't really understand.

I have a floating basking platform uvb light filter and more than 6" depth of water... so I take them out for feeding, just in a bowl and I fill it with water maybe 2-3" and put them inside and I will hand feed them pellets. If veggies I will put in front of them in the water.

In the past I feed in their tank and they will swim in the water to eat them. Now I feed them in the bowl they don't want it. I had no choice but to feed pellets because I'm scared they go hungry.

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
I've not had a RES, but my understanding is they are predominately carnivorous when small. For my Reeves, who has no interest in salad greens, the tank is full of duckweed and anacharis, which he will munch on periodically. Also I mix in Omega 1 veggie rounds. First ingredients are kelp, spirulina and salmon, so sneaky plant food. For my peninsula cooter I attach collards, dandelion leafs, and endive with binder clips to submerge and she grazes on the salad.
I will try to find those types of greens but I don't think my country sells. I bought kale and spring mix from the market

turtlemanfla88

I use pellets to. Where do you live? in what country?. The reason I ask is maybe we can send you seeds.

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Well they are still considered babies but I still want to introduce some greens into their diet instead of the usual pellets. I got duckweed and water hyacinth for them but they aren't interested. I take them out for feeding in a separate bowl. Should I leave some of the floating greens in the tank so they can eat it whenever they want? Or what should I do to get them to at least eat a little of the greens? Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm not quite sure I totally understand your feeding regime, but I'm getting the impression that you don't understand that water turtles cannot swallow food unless they are totally submerged under the water. I really doubt feeding a water turtle in a bowl is a good idea. They need to be in something bigger than a bowl.

See if you can find someplace that sells water hyacinth. Red ear sliders love water hyacinth. And go back to feeding them in their tank or in a larger tub.

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
I'm not quite sure I totally understand your feeding regime, but I'm getting the impression that you don't understand that water turtles cannot swallow food unless they are totally submerged under the water. I really doubt feeding a water turtle in a bowl is a good idea. They need to be in something bigger than a bowl.

See if you can find someplace that sells water hyacinth. Red ear sliders love water hyacinth. And go back to feeding them in their tank or in a larger tub.
I do fill the bowl with around 3" of water. It is about 7-8" in diameter. I would scatted pellets in the water for them. As for veggies I give to them also in the bowl but they won't eat it so I don't know how to make them eat at least a bit of greens. I am also not sure if I should leave the floating greens in the tank or continue to offer them only in the bowl?

I have some duckweed and water hyacinth but they are not interested. Btw sorry for the confusion

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can't remember how big your turtles are. But if they're still babies, then I doubt you're going to get them to eat greens. Baby turtles are mainly carnivorous.

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
They are still really small like 1.5" & 1.75" so it is alright if they don't eat any veggies at all while they are still babies?

Randi

Canada

My Reeves (150 grams) refuses any plant matter except for his live aquatic plants, too - anubias, cryptocorne, and some java fern. The other day he pretty much devoured all the plants in the tank. He doesn't touch them too frequently but this week has been a whole new thing. My guy likes the veggie wafers as well. As he gets larger, he will probably want more veggies.

I had four RES and they would eat aquatic plants (cabomba, red ludwigia, hornwort, etc) on their own time until they were about 3.5-4inches and then they ate veg daily. Yours are babies and they like animal protein at this size. It wouldn't hurt to keep offering aquatic plants or vegetables though.