Romaine Lettuce for Baby RES

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
I just fed them romaine lettuce today for a change, and they love it! For 1 & 1/2" babies, they love their veggies!

I actually was contemplating buying lettuce for them because they're still mostly carnivorous, but I was really glad they love the veggies I bought them :)

I also bought honey cherry tomatoes and blueberries, I wonder if they can eat those?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No on the blueberrys and tomato and romaine is not a good food source either alone. Spring mix, kale, mustard greens, etc. is a better food source then romaine or regular lettuce.

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
No on the blueberrys and tomato and romaine is not a good food source either alone. Spring mix, kale, mustard greens, etc. is a better food source then romaine or regular lettuce.
Oh I see! Thanks for pointing it out. I read that romaine lettuce was the better veggies option.

Can they eat kailan, bokchoy, cabbages?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'd say no on the cabbage :) Mine don't get it, but it's not very healthy!
Bokchoy is okay sometimes, not a favorite :p
I've actually never heard of kailan, if it's a green, you might find it on TheTortoiseTable! :D
Try dandelion flowers, if you have any... they'll go crazy for them! There are also all sorts of aquatic plants you can grow that sliders would naturally eat in the wild, like duckweed:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Stick with green,s lettuce has very low nutrional value ( filler). Mine love grape leaves.

mitsymoo0309

Hi! Don't feed them Romanian lettuce! It has no nutritional value other than for dehydrated tortoises. And also a no on the blueberrys! I feet my tort tomatoes, but only once a week!
Other good foods are tiny bits of grape every now and then, dandelion leaves and pansies!
Hope that helps!!

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
I'd say no on the cabbage :) Mine don't get it, but it's not very healthy!
Bokchoy is okay sometimes, not a favorite :p
I've actually never heard of kailan, if it's a green, you might find it on TheTortoiseTable! :D
Try dandelion flowers, if you have any... they'll go crazy for them! There are also all sorts of aquatic plants you can grow that sliders would naturally eat in the wild, like duckweed:D
Thanks! So if the food is safe for tortoises it should be safe for turtles too?

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Stick with green,s lettuce has very low nutrional value ( filler). Mine love grape leaves.
Thanks! I'm not sure my supermarket sells those though, but I will go check it out later.

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Hi! Don't feed them Romanian lettuce! It has no nutritional value other than for dehydrated tortoises. And also a no on the blueberrys! I feet my tort tomatoes, but only once a week!
Other good foods are tiny bits of grape every now and then, dandelion leaves and pansies!
Hope that helps!!
Thanks! But just want to be sure, water turtles can eat what tortoises eat too?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You can toss in a romaine leaf or kale or other greens, and also aquatic plants are terrific food. Duckweed and water lettuce, water iris, and stuff you can get at the fish store.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

ETTB1314

5 Year Member

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Great! Thanks for the advice and information guys! Really appreciate it! :D