2 Species sharing a home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSHA

5 Year Member
OK...The wife said she likes both the Redfoot and the Russian I found. They are both 5" Torts. I am really torn about which to get so she asked, "If you can't decide, what about getting both?"

I pondered this and told her I wanted to get an opinion from the Tort gurus here.

Would they be able to co-habitate in the same 100 sq ft pen?

Or would I need to split it and keep them apart. I don't want to have 2 torts fighting or anything.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Most of us are very opposed to this. And you are considering it with two of the worst species possible. They have very different diets, temp and humidity needs, seasonal variation needs, behavioral needs... they just aren't compatible on any level. Plus most russians are still wild caught and likely carrying all sorts of stuff that doesn't hurt them, but could be disastrous for a species from another continent. The redfoot could have bad internal stuff for the russian too.

They are both great species, but they should be housed separately.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Your wife sounds just like mine. She said the same thing when we got torts.

I housed 2 russians with a redfoot when I first got into torts. I felt like I was able to marginally address their individual needs by providing varying microclimates. Besides, my redfoot had been kept for over a year in the same tank at petsmart with wild caught russians before I got her, so she was used to it right? After a while I slowly came to realize that it just wasn't working and that I really needed to focus on one species or the other. I ended up finding new homes for the russians.

Take it from someone who has done it, it just doesn't work. To me, its all about compatibility. They don't go together. You've got the one tort that wants to be dark and humid while the other would rather dig to China, scale the Great Wall, and be back in time for dinner. The one will want to eat fruit and bugs and meat, while you then have to give only greens to the other (and it's not always easy to keep determined russians from sneaking over and stealing...) What happens when the redfoot eventually outgrows the russian (mine was starting to after only 6 months or so of being housed together)? cause then you have to watch for bullying and intimidation causing undue stress to both torts. What about hibernation since only one of them will go through it?

I didn't want to believe it so I rationalized that it would be okay. It really isn't, trust me. I can pretty much guarantee that you'll come to the same conclusion at some point that I did if you do decide to keep them together.

Without measuring it out, 100 square feet does sound like enough room for 2 tortoises. Would it be possible to set up two separate habitats? Or better yet you could always just get two of the same species. IMO its funner to have two because then you get to see group dynamics and how they interact with each other.

My vote, if I may vote based on personality, is to go with the redfoots. More curious yet somehow they just get into less trouble ;)

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Not a good idea to house both species. One from Europe/Asia and the other from South America.

Though I do know of people housing different species with no ill effect.

Why take a chance?

Russians and Redfoots both have vibrant personalities. I have kept both and loved them both. Either one can be easy or difficult to keep depending on where you live. I no longer have redfoots, but still keep russians. Mostly for the fact that russians thrive in our desert. The redfoots were healthy but it was difficult (& stressful) to maintain the humidity here.

Russians are very active, but also hibernate. Hibernation gives keepers a "breaK" from husbandry but also you don't get to see them all winter. I get excited to see my russian emerge from hibernation...it's like seeing your children after the return from a summer vacation from the in-laws. Fruit isn't good for russians and they thrive on weeds that grow in yards (along with other greens). Russians aren't great on the eyes, but they are great on the heart...especially when you have a pair of them (Russians males make the cutest noise when doin' their thang)

Redfoots are gorgeous and also very personable. Male redfoots cluck like chickens and it is a comforting noise (oddly). They love fruit and leafy greens. They don't hibernate and are a tropical species.

Maybe get the tortoise that will thrive in your climate.....go from there. Then, get the other tortoise species when you feel you can successfully accommodate its needs. I started with redfoots, which was a bad choice. I got stressed out on the humidity factor and I wouldn't be able to house them outdoors all the time without a green house.

Or if you think you are ready, you can do both and make two pens out of the 100 square feet. Maybe 40/60 or 30/70.

Either way, good luck and keep us posted!

OSHA

5 Year Member
gummybearpoop said:
Not a good idea to house both species. One from Europe/Asia and the other from South America.

Though I do know of people housing different species with no ill effect.

Why take a chance?

Russians and Redfoots both have vibrant personalities. I have kept both and loved them both. Either one can be easy or difficult to keep depending on where you live. I no longer have redfoots, but still keep russians. Mostly for the fact that russians thrive in our desert. The redfoots were healthy but it was difficult (& stressful) to maintain the humidity here.

Russians are very active, but also hibernate. Hibernation gives keepers a "breaK" from husbandry but also you don't get to see them all winter. I get excited to see my russian emerge from hibernation...it's like seeing your children after the return from a summer vacation from the in-laws. Fruit isn't good for russians and they thrive on weeds that grow in yards (along with other greens). Russians aren't great on the eyes, but they are great on the heart...especially when you have a pair of them (Russians males make the cutest noise when doin' their thang)

Redfoots are gorgeous and also very personable. Male redfoots cluck like chickens and it is a comforting noise (oddly). They love fruit and leafy greens. They don't hibernate and are a tropical species.

Maybe get the tortoise that will thrive in your climate.....go from there. Then, get the other tortoise species when you feel you can successfully accommodate its needs. I started with redfoots, which was a bad choice. I got stressed out on the humidity factor and I wouldn't be able to house them outdoors all the time without a green house.

Or if you think you are ready, you can do both and make two pens out of the 100 square feet. Maybe 40/60 or 30/70.

Either way, good luck and keep us posted!

I live in Central FL about 1 hour north of Orlando. (Mickey Mouse is a nearby neighbor ;))

I had mentioned in a previous thread that I was planning on keeping it/them outdoors on my patio in a large enclosure. I figured if it got too cold (it can get under 60F during much of the winter, and as low as the mid 30Fs) I could bring them indoors to my garage and use indoor heating with spot lamps and the right substrates. During the Summer, it stays between 80F-100F on the hottest day. I have no issues with diet. If it a Herbivore like the Russian or Omni like the Redfoot.

I am just trying to get the best tort for the area I am in.

I am happy to take suggestions.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Oh ok sorry OSHA

If I lived in Florida, I would keep redfoots hands-down. I would build an outdoor barn and keep them out year round. You just have to make sure they are in the barn every night. OR bring them indoors like you stated.

I chose to keep russians over redfoots because the climate in Arizona.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Well you could go with either....it's just that redfoots would be happy living in a humid environment FL over let's say...AZ :] I was in the same position...and I stuck with redfoots. It's a personal preference, but redfoots are so colorful and since this is essentially going to be a lifelong friend, why not pick a tort I enjoy looking at? I live in Cali and it is difficult keeping it humid but I am trying my best.

Status
Not open for further replies.