2 to 3 month old leopard seems large and starting to pyramid?

BudbudsAndy

Hi! I've had my tort about 1 month. I think he is unusually large for his age and also beginning to pyramid. He lives outside on our porch in Daytona Beach, FL. He has full sun about 4 to 6 hours daily plus uva and uvb bulbs for 12 hours. Temp ranges from 70 to 80 at night and 80 to 90 during the day. Humidity ranges from 70% to 100%. He eats kale, arugula, mizuna, collards, small amounts of spinach or red leaf lettuce. He also has wheat, barley, rye, and oat grasses , portulaca, and spider plant growing in his enclosure that I have seen him eat. He also has a cuttle bone that I've seen him use. What am I doing wrong?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. Do you have pictures of your tortoise and his enclosure? It may help experienced leopard keepers with any suggestions they may have.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If you're using an iPhone you can download them from your photo stream. Otherwise I don't know how to do it, sorry.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Oh my, he is totally adorable. @Tom should be able to give you some advice. I do know that it helps that you live in a hot and humid climate. Baby leopard tortoises need heat and humidity. Do you put that been outside on the porch every day? Does he come inside at night?

BudbudsAndy

He stays outside all the time now. I only bring him in if it's below 70. Maybe he needs a heat emitter for night? He has soooo much sass and he is very vocal. This pic pretty much sums up his sass.

Attachments

• 2015-03-25 22.57.17.jpg
    2015-03-25 22.57.17.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 89
  • 2015-03-25 22.57.17.jpg
    2015-03-25 22.57.17.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 87

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have not raised a baby leopard tortoise. But I have read here often that the temperature should not go below 80° around the clock. This is because high humidity and lower temperatures can lead to a respiratory infection. So a CHE on a thermostat may be needed for the colder times. I'm sure more experienced people will come along soon. Your tortoise is very cute.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm tired, grumpy and don't feel like arguing about this yet again, but I want you to have this information.

1. Your tortoise is not large for its age.
2. Outside all day is not good for babies of any species, regardless of temps and conditions. The stability of the great INDOORS suits babies much better, IF its done correctly... which leads me to my next point:
3. Open topped enclosures with low sides are the worst way to house babies. They need closed chambers with consistent temps and high humidity.
4. 70 is much too low for a leopard baby, especially with humidity. Shoot for 80 degrees 24/7, but don't use colored bulbs. Use a CHE on a thermostat. You are very likely to induce a respiratory infection if you continue on the way you have been.
5. Pyramiding is caused growth in conditions that are too dry. Are you soaking the baby daily? I suspect your indoor enclosure is too dry. And yes, your baby is starting to pyramid. Probably from the indoor bulbs and the wide open top.

Read these for more info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding-ii-the-leopards.18931/

Read this one for diet info. Its written for sulcatas, so just use a lot less grass and more succulents.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Trust Tom's words he knows is stuff .My leopards are kept the way he is telling you and it has worked . I can't find pictures of my little ones now but will post some latter. Here is two adult sulcatas one is some what smooth the other pyramided . Humidity and temps are very important . Found one picture .haha It's in a big fish tank humid on one side the other a little dryer . I have a humidifier on one side and basking lamp and Che on the other . plus the water bowel is by the humidifier . The substrate on that side stays somewhat wet .

Attachments

• 1431237899988.jpg
    1431237899988.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 1431237935026.jpg
    1431237935026.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 1431237956375.jpg
    1431237956375.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 79

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and a warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your lovely little leopard.
Take Tom's advice, he has raised so many little one's successfully.
Just a little bit of change and your torts life will become much healthier and happier.

BudbudsAndy

OK I am going to fix him a new indoor enclosure today, than you so much I will post pics when I'm done if someone wouldn't mind maybe commenting adjustments if needed. Can he still use the outdoor enclosure for sun time? Or is it completely wrong?

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Some time in the sun good. It takes the guess work out if your artificial UV source. Make sure your baby has shade and is secure and safe while in the outside pen.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A lovely little tort! GOD bless.

And a very warm welcome to the forum!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would definitely keep letting him have outdoor time, at least a couple hours a day if it were me. More as he gets older. Nothing beats real sunshine in my opinion.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
OK I am going to fix him a new indoor enclosure today, than you so much I will post pics when I'm done if someone wouldn't mind maybe commenting adjustments if needed. Can he still use the outdoor enclosure for sun time? Or is it completely wrong?

Outside time in a safe enclosure is very good for them, just not ALL day. I like to put hatchlings outside for an hour a day several times a week. As they gain size I keep them outside longer and longer. By the time they are 5-6" I leave them out all day, weather permitting, but still bring them in at night for sleeping or during extreme weather.

I move them outside full time with a heated night box at around 8-10".

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think you need to make a whole new enclosure, just figure out how to cover the one you've got. Covering it keeps the warm, moist air inside.

BudbudsAndy

I got a CHE and I'm making him a new indoor enclosure. I'm keeping the outdoor for sun time. I guess I'll seed it and plant a couple new plants too. I am soaking him once daily but maybe I'll increase for a little. Thanks! Is his pyramiding bad? If I fix things now it should not get worse right?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
No, it's not bad at all.
As long as you keep the humidity high and increase the temps to the right levels it should not get any worse.
He is a beautiful tortoise.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Andy he is beautiful, welcome to you both. Just make sure when he is out he is safe from birds and predators by using something a chicken wire or hardware cloth cover, keep any cats and dogs away from them as they are unpredictable and could harm your tort. You will learn a lot here from experts who very kindly give us their time to keep our torts happy and healthy so enjoy!