2 Yearlings - Russian

atlfrog

Location (City and/or State)
US
I cant find all of my good ones but I figured I would show a few of my favs. The first is Leah (most laid back tortoise Ive ever had), the second Skully (adventurous and highly motivated) and then there's Louis (everyone's fav. I have no favs but he's the one who love's to cuddle, with the wife anyway.)20180805_201717.jpeg20180805_203348.jpeg20180805_203000.jpeg

ScStange891

Pennsylvania
So adorable! The first one looks like a wise sage; the second a seasoned explorer,; the third the young grump who just wants to be fed and warmed :D

Kasia

Poland

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Unless you bought them from a breeder, and absolutely KNOW the tortoises' ages, I would say you're guessing wrong, or have been told wrong. Russian tortoises bought at pet stores are always much older than yearlings. Pet stores think that because the tortoise is so small, it must be a baby. Russians are a small species, and in order to meet the 4" rule, Russian tortoises are always older than about 8 or 10 years. Here's what a Russian tortoise "yearling" looks like:

hqdefault.jpg

Let's take your first picture to use as an example. counting the growth rings from the very first one in the center, I count 9. That means this tortoise has had 9 growth spurts in his life, and you can assume from that he is about 8 or 9 years old. It's not a REAL accurate way to tell a tortoise's age, but it gives you a good idea of how old it is.

Looking at the picture I got off the 'net, the tortoise only has one growth ring. More than likely this tortoise is a hatchling or about 1 year of age.

atlfrog

US
Yes I realized counting the rings was a hit or miss. However I didnt know that they were not yearlings. Good info. We were told that information from a Mom and Pap pet store who breeds various species but I guess I need to check around.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Can you get an overhead picture of each of their shells? I can't say for certain but I believe your "adult" Russians are most likely wild caught.

atlfrog

US
These are three pictures of the turtles I have right now. The other two are at my in-laws. Long story. I wish they werent wild caught but I wont be prejudice.20180810_190417.jpeg20180810_190402.jpeg20180810_190346.jpeg

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
These are three pictures of the turtles I have right now. The other two are at my in-laws. Long story. I wish they werent wild caught but I wont be prejudice.View attachment 247895View attachment 247896View attachment 247897

They look wild caught to me. I could be wrong. Captive bred tortoises do not usually develop that much wear and tear to their shells from living in indoor/outdoor enclosures.

Though If the proprietors of that claim to have experience in breeder any particular tortoise species and then tried to sell me specimens like these at breeder prices I would immediately start questioning their business and tortoise care practices.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I agree they are older than yearlings. But i know with my box turtles they have many many more growth rings than what their actual ages are.

LoonyLovegood

Colorado Springs, CO