3.5 year old leopard winter home/enclosure?

ChucktownTort

I realize there is a ton about indoor enclosures, and so please don't think I am deliberately being lazy.

I live in the southeastern US (coastal SC) and my 3.5 year old leopard tortoise spends the summer in a secured outside enclosure (maybe 3x6') and gets to go to a movable enclosure in the front yard with grass and weeds. He seems pretty happy. In the last month I have been bringing him in at night as the temps dip into the 50s, which is a ~3'x2' cement mixing tub with walls, and a light. He hates the nights.

BUT now we are about to get our first real cool down which means he will need to be inside during the day. Last winter his home was the 3x2 enclosure which was way too small, but I don't know how much more space I can give him indoors (just saw the two baby pool idea which was awesome). Also, I really need to include a top to give him something warm and humid at least at night when the light is off and the house cools off (a ceramic bulb heater without a top is nearly worthless). Lastly, I don't want to put too much effort into a winter enclosure since he will be back outside pretty early in the spring.

So, what sort of suggestions do you guys have? What sort of temps can a small 3.5 year old leopard tolerate? I could make him something outside with a house, which would be optimum since there is more space and I have a decent southern facing patch of grass, but am not sure if he could tolerate it.

Thank you so much for your help.
http://imgur.com/zw6GKd3
zw6GKd3

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have one about that size and I built him a tort table on one wall of the Leopard tortoise's shed:

leopard shed.jpg leopard shed-3.jpg

It's not quite 2' wide and 4' long. He has a UVB light for day and a black incandescent bulb for night. there is also a waterer, a feeding tile and a hiding place.

This is 'Kim', a special needs baby:

leopard (Kim) 5-13-16 b.jpg leopard (Kim) 5-13-16 e.jpg leopard (Kim) 5-13-16 f.jpg

He gets along just fine in that tort table, but I've been trying to figure out how to keep more moisture on him. I can't cover it, so I was thinking about covering him instead. Some sort of temporary, moist tortoise 'sweater'.

I think you should try to keep your tortoise about 80F and not any cooler than 78F or so at night. You can rig up a PVC framework or throw together a wood framework and drape plastic over it to keep the warm moist air inside.

ChucktownTort

After looking around it looks like a tarped baby pool or the Lifetime Raised Garden Bed on Amazon are good choices that can easily be packed up in the winter.

Lifetime 60053 Raised Garde Bed Kit, 2 Beds and 1 Early Start Vinyl Enclosure https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055FSKPW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I have a two year tort table and last winter used the too small tub, and I think these would work way better.

Is there a good way to use a thermostat to regulate the temperature?

Any thoughts on the raised bed purchase (currently $115)?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Several members have used the raised bed for their indoor enclosure and they seem to work very well. Just plug the heat source(s) into a thermostat and you should be fine. I would also have a hygrometer/thermometer in place to keep tabs on the actual temperature.

Here is a link to a great example: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chamber-leopard-edition.109634/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's exactly the link I had in mind as I read the op's last post. You beat me to it, Joe!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby