3 legged CDT

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: 3 legged CDT

edwardbo said:
the wheel can be afixed as permanantly as you chose,take your time ,ill be around,,,,,thinking when the novelty wears of that you wont have to worry every day that the wheel has fallen off.all is well ....feel free to ask for samples,any of my tort loving family......e

Thanks Edward.

The new wheel came in today. We are going to try it out with the tape first. That stuff holds great!

I'll contact you when we are ready :)

Right now I've been removing the wheel for his long soaks. It's nice to remove it and not worry about it rusting, lol. But he won't get these long daily soaks forever....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Heather, just wondering. Have you considered having a cast made for his stub, that would have a post receptor (don't know what else to call it) permanently imbedded in it, that you would then insert the wheel stem into as you needed. Both the wheel and the cast would be independently removable. The cast would be either strapped around his body or it could possibly be held on by means of a rubber type suction. I had seen this before on a tortoise, but have not been able to find it:( If I do, I will post it here.

This isn't it. But just wondering if this would be an idea that may work easier or better? I'm sure you have looked all these up and seen them, but just incase you haven't. This one seems to have almost the same amount of leg left too.
http://dailynewsdig.com/amazing-prosthetic-limbs-for-animals/

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Yes Barb, that's ideally what my husband wants to do! A permanent "base" and an attachable/ interchange wheel. But that's further down the road in testing..lol

I've also wondered if I could make him "leg" to strap onto his nub. Of course it would have to be blue to double as the Skywalker light saber.. Hahaha

I did see that photo. Thank you for sharing :) Making him a "skate board" is something I'd try if the single wheel doesn't work out. But it's added into my collection of things to consider.

Thanks everyone for caring about him and wanting to follow along. I know you will all just love this beat up boy more when you see video. I haven't forgotten about it. But the video is on my phone and since i

Oops..

Since I normally use the app, you all have to wait till I'm on my PC :p

Here is what we are trying next.
New wheel on the left, old wheel on the right. We needed something shorter..
1390067336803.jpg

The swivel caster wheel on the right did turn but because it attached to the plastron at a slight angle it wouldn't always turn smoothly.
The new ball bearings ball on the left can roll any direction very easily. Also, since it's shorter we should be able to attach it level.
1390067430635.jpg
1390067555447.jpg

We will try taping this on later for round 2 of testing!

Stay tuned ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Not the best picture, but I just put on the new ball bearing "leg".
1390085139038.jpg
So far it's much better. The shorter height doesn't off set him like the other one did. He can pivot and turn easily. He was rolling around the yard :) while my boys were offering him some freshly grown collards and hibiscus leaves. He did good. I think he is going to get some strong back legs, that's for sure!

Forgot to add this close up..1390085487574.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

edwardbo

5 Year Member
i think your on the right track,looking good......its amazing to me the out pouring of love and concern we have here.from indian grand fathers to back woods hillbillys ,lovind old ladys, mothers with heart issues,phds in europe to caring dog trainers,car dealers in lousiana,waiters in cali,pritty girls in colage,gentle men in indonesia,unhinged artist in blue houses,...maybe we have something here,if all the world leaders would give every one on the earth a baby hatchling, maybe, just maybe this kind of love would spread far and wide and we all would realize we really all only have this very moment in time.....much love my crazy tort family...not to forget the all knowing miss Yvonne and the master wizard Gerard....aldabra man,,,and the wacky hypo red foot breeder,that doesnt like me.......

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Edwardbo, it's animal fanatic people. They are the best in the world. It does have some that don't belong, not too many, for the most part, they are the best people to know:)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Edwardbo, nicely said!

Heather, that new wheel looks more like the pool ball cut in half, but with a wheel embedded. That looks more comfortable. Glad you found it!