3 legged CDT

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Enjoying this thread...

Possibly a dumb question, but wouldn't you worry that the castor wheel would get clogged with dirt?

:p

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: 3 legged CDT

lynnedit said:
Possibly a dumb question, but wouldn't you worry that the castor wheel would get clogged with dirt?
:p

There is so much I don't know about the wheel idea.
Will it get clogged with dirt?
Will he have a hard time walking on the grass part of the lawn?
When he sleeps at night he will be propped up on the wheel side, is that going to be comfortable?
Does he have enough strength to push himself forward?

I really don't know any answers and assume I'll have some trial and error. Another reason why I am afraid to permanently adhere something. If it breaks, needs replacing, causes problems, etc. it would be to hard to change.
But if we test it with heavy duty double stick tape, how long will it hold up with him walking on it to test it?

So, you guys can follow along as we try to figure this stuff out. :) we are open to tips and input along the way!
I want to give him some time to settle in before messing with him and a prosthetic. But how much time is enough to settle in but not too long to wait?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Well, a furniture slide isn't permanent. I suppose if you noticed the bottom of his shell showing wear, that could be used semi temporarily.
It will be interesting to see what edwardbo has in the way of adhesives: perhaps some are semi permanent.

Good thought about the prosthesis height when sleeping. I notice my Russians often sleep with their heads propped on a rock, so perhaps a flat rock in one corner of his hide box.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Weighed and measured him today. 10.7lbs and just shy of 13"
:)
He's been soaking in a warm bath for half an hour while I massage his legs and neck skin.
He likes it!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
First day of wheel testing today!

I used a heavy duty double stick tape to attach a 1 1/4" swivel caster wheel. I was worried thus would stress him our but right away this guys spirits were lifted! He became so active! It was emotional to witness. Like seeing a bird who could finally fly after a broken wing has healed. Or when a wild sea lion is returned to the sea after rehab. He covered his whole yard grazing on weeds all along the way.

Now, about the wheel. This one won't work long term. Even though it is a swivel wheel, it doesn't turn as easily as I'd like. I also need something a little shorter. He didn't get stuck anywhere or seem to strain. He just had to make wide turns.

My husband found a special order wheel. A ball transfer..something or other. But it's a complete ball in a base fixture that can roll each direction. We ordered it and will try that one next. It looks promising.

Until that comes in, I'll keep this one on him. After moving his water dish to a new area, he can maneuver his whole area just fine and I'm home all day (stay at home mom :) ) to check him frequently.
I'm pleased already at how happy he seems since the new mobility.

Stay tuned for more testing updates :D

1389840842054.jpg
1389840889062.jpg
1389840912143.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Yaaaaaaaaaaay!! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

"Strong with the Force, this one is. Hrrrmmmm." [\Yoda]

K I'll stop with the Star Wars jokes now. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Heather, I just about cried reading how well he acted, took to and enjoyed getting around with the wheel. I am so happy for the both of you. I am also so happy that you got him. What a life he will have in your giving, loving care. It's so nice too, hearing that your husband and kids are all so involved in the love of these fantastic creatures.:)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

Barista5261 said:
"Strong with the Force, this one is. Hrrrmmmm." [\Yoda]

My husband loved this lol

Thanks Barb. I took 7 videos of him walking around. I couldn't get enough. :)

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Wow did not realize he was so big , also if that wheel made him happy just wait till we get one that is better balanced.heather I sent you a pm regarding the properties of the dental products ....the reason I'm posting now is that I see the there is more stump than I thought ,,,,umm maybe a little prosthetic attached to that stump might make him corner like a brand new Porsche with his new wheel.....ascot the swelling you see May have more to do with lymphatic drainage and some head trauma associated with the dog chewing.......he will be fine ,he wants to live,let his spirit fly,don't worry........I had a beautiful 25 year old girl foot amputation yesterday and she was smiling.....by the face of god go us.....much love my tort loving family ,good night ,pleasant dreams.( besides the tort is probably more concerned with how he's gonna maneuver around the lady torts than digging a lonely borrow,maybe if he in invites them for a swim.....)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I got your email Edward. I'll reply to you later today. I want my husband to read it, too. Yes, he is a full grown boy living outside. :)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
This thread makes me teary eyed <3

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Can you post some of those videos?? I know I'm not the only one who would love to see them :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Fantastic, all around.
I, too, am one of the curious ones and would love a video.
We really can't get too much of this...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

edwardbo said:
I also have some derma bond ,just let me know.

Interesting, ok. I was hesitant about the acrylic. I don't want something so permanent that it could not be removed if needed. What if the wheel breaks or a better wheel comes along etc.
Hubby and I will probably go through your email together tonight after the kids are in bed.

He's out again today cruising :)

I'll figure out how to post a video for you guys :)

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
For the video, if you make a YouTube account, and upload it there, that's the best way I've found. It's very convenient. Which reminds me! I have to post my frog attacks cricket video. :D

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
How wonderful to see he is back on his feet. God bless! ! ! ! [/align]

edwardbo

5 Year Member
the wheel can be afixed as permanantly as you chose,take your time ,ill be around,,,,,thinking when the novelty wears of that you wont have to worry every day that the wheel has fallen off.all is well ....feel free to ask for samples,any of my tort loving family......e