3-toed box turtle and eggs

Littlelady56

Location (City and/or State)
Tremonton, UT
My two 20-yr-old box turtles are still quite amorous with each other. Is it too late in the season to get viable eggs? How long after mating does it take for the female to lay eggs - one way or the other? Probably silly questions but a friend gave me her turtles just this past March; so I haven't even had them a full year. I did find a couple of destroyed eggs in their water first part of August I've been worried the stress of all the changes would throw her off cycle. I was glad she at least laid them because I'd read about them getting so stressed they won't even release the eggs and they get very sick.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
My two 20-yr-old box turtles are still quite amorous with each other. Is it too late in the season to get viable eggs? How long after mating does it take for the female to lay eggs - one way or the other? Probably silly questions but a friend gave me her turtles just this past March; so I haven't even had them a full year. I did find a couple of destroyed eggs in their water first part of August I've been worried the stress of all the changes would throw her off cycle. I was glad she at least laid them because I'd read about them getting so stressed they won't even release the eggs and they get very sick.

It is not to late for a box turtle to lay eggs. Females will deposit the last of the eggs up through about this time of year. If the babies do incubator successfully and hatch they stay in the nest till it warms up and will crawl out. With our weird weather too, My box turtles lay later than they did say 5 years ago. Interesting

Kyle

Littlelady56

Tremonton, UT
It is not to late for a box turtle to lay eggs. Females will deposit the last of the eggs up through about this time of year. If the babies do incubator successfully and hatch they stay in the nest till it warms up and will crawl out. With our weird weather too, My box turtles lay later than they did say 5 years ago. Interesting

Kyle
If I am hoping to have her lay them in a different box, when do I pull her out? Does that make sense? I guess what I don't know is how long she carries the eggs before she lays them.