3D CAD Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I was actually kind of thinking about 2 top hatches: one for each end. I'm afraid a 6 foot long hatch would be awkward for me. And 2 hatches would help keep the humidity in when I opened one end.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
I think sliding doors would be easiest. Harley currently has two hinge doors and when I open both doors she tries to bolt out of the opening farthest away from my hand, which wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't a 7ft drop to the ground and she was tamed. I think with only opening one side at a time she would be more likely to stay in her enclosure.
Take your time on the designs I am in no hurry. It will be a few months before I have the time to get around to building it anyways.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
So you want the hatches on top? Exactly how tall are you, it'll help me figure out what height will be easiest for you to access and clean the enclosure.

Whoops I think I get it now, instead of having a huge 6ft hatch you'd like me to divide it in half and make two? Sorry to be asking so many questions.

Thalatte: Sweet that'll make it a whole lot easier to make, When I do draw it up i wont go into detail to much on the sliding glass doors as their are several different designs. Though, it will have the basic measurements of the glass.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Ok thanks. Your awesome. Wanna build it for me too? I will buy you dinner! :p

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I am 5'7". Being a newcomer I'm not all that familiar with the different aspects of tortoise enclosures beyond a simple open tortoise table. But the more I think about it, the more I think a front sliding door might be easiest. What works best in your experience?

Like Thalatte, I am also NOT in a big hurry. This will be Elsa's "new and improved" winter habitat for next year. I will be building a simple pen on the ground for her for this summer.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
HALP!!! Google Sketchup version 8 (or any version) is NOT COMPATIBLE with my Mac! :-(

Now what?????

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
The sliding doors work exceptionally well, The only expensive thing is just getting the glass cut to the size you need (this can be done at glass window replacement business). For glass thickness a lot of people like 1/8 glass.....but to me it breaks too easily, i'd reccomend 1/4 thick glass. And having the edges of the glass rounded will make the glass to slide easier and keeps it from micro fracturing into the slide rivets (over time it would get stuck with non round edged glass).

Also for the enclosure did you want it on a stand as well? Any drawers or shelves?

What version of mac do you have?

Try this website http://google-sketchup.en.softonic.com/mac

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Hey can I jump in que :p I'm thinking something fairly basic I hope :D

I'm looking for something roughly 4-6ft long 2-3ft wide and 5-6ft tall I want the bottom to be one enclosure for my yellow foot and the top to be an other enclosure the trick is I want each enclosure to roll out as such a bottom draw in a dresser. I would need/want the area for the lights to stay in place when pulled out .... I hope I'm making sence I would want glass/plexiglass front piece to see into. The draws pulling out would be my access I stand 6ft tall so a small step stool to reach in and clean my top enclosure wouldn't be a problem. My yf is only 3.5" now come summer time when it is larger it would be out side and this would be a winter enclosure. The top would most likely turn in to a box turtle enclosure provided I don't aquire more tortoises witch I most likely will.

Let me know what you come up with feel free to adjust the sizes they are what I know I can work with or what space my wife will allow me to have lol feel free to ask any and all questions needed and/or toss in your recomendations this would be my late winter early spring project.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
It may take a bit for me to get to yours Rover. I'm still designing Moozilion, then thalatte will be next.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Moozilion :) I'm proud to announce i have completed your enclosure CAD drawings. 72x36x20 enclosure with an overall height of 56 inches 4ft 8in. If you can get the CAD i'll just email the files over too you. Whenever you can get it going let me know just pm me and i'll email you the files. Enjoy!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 2.51.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 2.51.45 AM.png
    249.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 2.51.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 2.51.28 AM.png
    260 KB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 2.51.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 2.51.15 AM.png
    249 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 2.51.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 2.51.04 AM.png
    259.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 2.23.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 2.23.54 AM.png
    262.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-10 at 1.37.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-10 at 1.37.14 AM.png
    261.7 KB · Views: 49

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
WOO HOO!!! :) I will try that Mac link today after work and will pm you!!!
THANKS BUNCHES!!!!

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Sorry I haven't had time to work on any cad drawings this week, first week back to college and everything is a little crazy. I haven't forgotten any of you and i will find time this weekend to at least complete one or two designs.

Jessica29

5 Year Member
If you get the time I've got an idea in mind. I'd want it 6ft long x 2-3ft wide and the height doesn't matter. It's fairly simple really. The bottom half of the cage I imagine being treated wood of some kind and the top half of the cage glass or plexiglass. This way they can't see out, but I can see in and it should hold heat and humidity. I would need front sliding doors and two cut outs on top for the heat/uv lamps. What do you think? No hurry as I know you have other people to design for and school. I just think its really neat what you're doing.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I haven't forgotten about everyone i'm so busy with college at the moment i'll try to get on these ASAP it may be mid MAY after finals if thats okay with everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.