1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Two Story Indoor Enclosure

Discussion in 'Tortoise Enclosures' started by jsharpminer, Feb 24, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. jsharpminer

jsharpminer New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Georgia
    Hello, I am new to this forum but I had a question I was hoping to get some advice on. I have seen a lot of indoor hatchling/juvenile tortoise enclosures with a ramp leading to a second level. I have a 1 year old leopard tortoise, and her indoor enclosure is a 40 gallon glass tank that I modified into a closed chamber. There is space for she/he to move around easily, but I am interested in increasing the floor space by adding a second level. Plus a ramp would be good exercise for her. I really have no idea where to start to build this type of structure. Does anyone have advice on how to make a relatively simple one that doesn't require a lot of woodworking/carpentry? Or is there some sort of commercial option that I could purchase. I looked at a lot of basking structures for aquatic turtles online, but I don't know that those could be modified for a dry tank. Any advice?
  2. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member Tortoise Club

Chicago, Illinois, USA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I think a 40 gallon is too small to put in a ramp to a second level. Also would be very hard making it attach too glass. You'd have to build the second level up on legs and then a ramp up too it.
    A cheap way to add space is purchasing large plastic totes. You can attach several together putting a hole for them to go from one into the other.
  3. Grandpa Turtle 144

Grandpa Turtle 144 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

4. CarolM

CarolM Well-Known Member

South Africa - Cape Town
    Hi.
    I am not sure how big a 40 gallon tank is, but this is how I added a second level to mine. And I do not have any wood working skills. I used wood, ice-cream sticks. Nails and a jigsaw cutter. 20190203_162737.jpeg 20190203_212708.jpeg
    vladimir likes this.