5 month old sulcata trying to dig through corner of enclosure

Mulgore

Location (City and/or State)
Kernersville, NC
hi i have a wooden enclosure for my sulcata and he digs through the mulch in the corner and tries to dig through the 2x4 and there noticeable marks from his legs just would like to know if thers anything i can do for my little buddy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hi i have a wooden enclosure for my sulcata and he digs through the mulch in the corner and tries to dig through the 2x4 and there noticeable marks from his legs just would like to know if thers anything i can do for my little buddy
Could be incorrect temps, humidity, lighting, substrate, or something else.

Review these threads to learn all the right care info:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It could be too hot or too cold and it’s digging to get away from the extreme. As others have said send a few pix of your set-up/enclosure. Maybe we will see something.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also measure the tort from tail end to head end on bottom shell so we know how big he is

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles

Mulgore

Kernersville, NC
oooooffff. Babies that size need to be in enclosed chambers for sure. DEFINITELY please read this: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/#post-2036954, others will chime in with specific but don't be put off. You have the best of intentions, but s/he won't do well in that environment at his/her Age
Hey thanks a lot this will definitely help also he never wants to use the cork bark hide and sleeps in the same corner he digs at been doing this for a week now

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
His name is kresh
Its impossible to maintain the correct conditions with an open topped enclosure, but the rest looks pretty good.

1. I would suggest using a second terra cotta saucer for the water instead of that bowl.
2. The tortoise needs a humid hide.
3. I see a basking lamp and what must be a CHE since there is no light coming from it. There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. In most cases you'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night. Some people in colder climates or with larger enclosures will need multiple CHEs or RHPs to spread out enough heat.
  3. Ambient light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in LED bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. In colder climates, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. I like the 12% HO bulbs from Arcadia. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html A good UV bulb only needs to run for 2-3 hours mid day. You need the basking bulb and the ambient lighting to be on at least 12 hours a day.
4. Those clamps always fail. You need to hang the fixtures from over head.
5. What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?

Please read the threads I linked for the correct care info. What you have will not work.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Hey thanks a lot this will definitely help also he never wants to use the cork bark hide and sleeps in the same corner he digs at been doing this for a week now
Yeah doesn't sound happy. Listen to everything @Tom says, you won't go wrong. But he needs more humidity for sure. Maybe also search on the form for photos of baby enclosures others have...

How long have you had him? He may also just be petrified

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You came to a great site for good help and advice, so please stick around for your beautiful little tortoise's well-being! Welcome. Love the enclosure size and design. Just needs to be closed for humidity...otherwise his shell will pyramid and he won't thrive.

Mulgore

Kernersville, NC
Yeah doesn't sound happy. Listen to everything @Tom says, you won't go wrong. But he needs more humidity for sure. Maybe also search on the form for photos of baby enclosures others have...

How long have you had him? He may also just be petrified
ive had him since October of last year and hes been living in the enclosure for 3 months now

Mulgore

Kernersville, NC
Its impossible to maintain the correct conditions with an open topped enclosure, but the rest looks pretty good.

1. I would suggest using a second terra cotta saucer for the water instead of that bowl.
3. I see a basking lamp and what must be a CHE since there is no light coming from it. There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. In most cases you'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night. Some people in colder climates or with larger enclosures will need multiple CHEs or RHPs to spread out enough heat.
  3. Ambient light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in LED bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. In colder climates, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. I like the 12% HO bulbs from Arcadia. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html A good UV bulb only needs to run for 2-3 hours mid day. You need the basking bulb and the ambient lighting to be on at least 12 hours a day.
5. What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?

Please read the threads I linked for the correct care info. What you have will not work.
thanks you so much seriously I felt a little lost

Mulgore

Kernersville, NC

Attachments

• 20230323_123215.jpg
    20230323_123215.jpg
    840 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230323_123205.jpg
    20230323_123205.jpg
    987 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230323_123157.jpg
    20230323_123157.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230323_123231.jpg
    20230323_123231.jpg
    894.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230323_122946.jpg
    20230323_122946.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Im giving up on this enclosure

I wanna get started on a new one
Good call. Many people are reluctant to switch after spending so much money ad working so hard on an open table. I can understand that, but once you get a closed chamber up and running you will see the difference first hand. Its astounding.

Mulgore

Kernersville, NC
Good call. Many people are reluctant to switch after spending so much money ad working so hard on an open table. I can understand that, but once you get a closed chamber up and running you will see the difference first hand. Its astounding.
VIVOSUN Reptile Heat Lamp Bulb - 125W High Intensity Self-Ballasted UVA UVB Mercury Vapor Light Bulb for Reptile, Amphibian and Birds https://a.co/d/9d8ca0m

Hi I use this bulb should I keep it or get the flood light bulb you mentioned

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
VIVOSUN Reptile Heat Lamp Bulb - 125W High Intensity Self-Ballasted UVA UVB Mercury Vapor Light Bulb for Reptile, Amphibian and Birds https://a.co/d/9d8ca0m

Hi I use this bulb should I keep it or get the flood light bulb you mentioned
Mercury vapor bulbs cause pyramiding even in a humid environment. They also have proven to have very unreliable UV outputs. They are expensive, delicate, and fickle. Finally, they run too hot for use in a closed chamber. I recommend not using that type of bulb.

Regular incandescent flood bulbs are far less desiccating and work well in conjunction with the other bulbs mentions.

Mulgore

Kernersville, NC

https://a.co/d/7bwXXX1 hows this for a basking bulb?