50watt red basking lamp instead of usual 40watt- Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
England
I went away this weekend and luckily moved my dad into my house to look after Alfie...

The heat lamp (40 watt exo terra infared) was on a timer, but the bulb blew while i was away and so my dad went to the hardwear store to get another (this is whatyou get for not always having spares). He put in a 40watt white bulb which seems to be working fine...

So i went and got a new bulb while away, but after hours of searching could only find a 50 watt bulb the same as i had, and not a 40.

The pet shop i got it from said it would be ok, but when i got the bulb off the shelf i came face to face with a snake! The people seemed very lax it had managed to escape (i am still reeling) and they didn't have any torts, but did have some tort products.

So my question:

Is it ok to just use a 40 watt white bulb instead of a red one, it seems to be working fine...

Do you think the 50 watt red bulb will be ok or will Alfie frazzle? He is in a 2.5 feet vivarium. At the moment i have a heat mat on at night time as the temp is dropping too much and i worry Alfie will go into hibernation.

The local hardwear shop is going to get me some red bulbs in. Is it ok to use these or do i have to have the 'exo terra' variety (which cost £8.70 as opposed to £1.30)?

Many Thanks, hope everyone is well!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I'm not really sure you will tell much of a difference between a 40 watt and a 50 watt, so I would just continue using the 50 watt red bulb and monitor your temperatures just to be sure.

I'd go red over white, especially at night.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The only difference is the red light is invisible to the tortoise's eyes, and the white bulb is like the sun is shining the whole time its on.

Yvonne

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Assuming the red bulb is used for night time heat, how low are the temperatures in the tortoises enclosure that it would require a source of heat at night being a Mediterranean tortoise?
A standard (white) 40 watt bulb should be sufficient as a daytime basking light as long as the ambient air temperature is at least 65 degrees. At 65 degrees a 40 watt basking light should be mounted approximately 12" from the substrate. This will produce temperatures of 100 degrees plus under the center beam of the light at the substrate.
A substrate heater should not be required for any reason with northern Mediterranean species.

Status
Not open for further replies.