lets talk basking lights.. shall we? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdoyle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamilton, Ontario, CAN
I'm on a rollercoaster ride of return trips to the store trying to find a good basking light for my sulcata fredrick....

I had a 250 Watt Red IR bulb, but after some discussions decided to change it to a bright (white/clear ) IR heat bulb..

So I returned the 250 watt Red bulb, and got a 250 watt Clear heatlamp bulb...

I hooked it up, and within 5 minutes it was at 108, that was at 24" away from the substrate.. I headed back to the shop, and now have a 175 Watt clear IR heatlamp bulb.. the lowest one i could find at the hardware store..

Its at 30" from the substrate, and is keeping the spot directly under it at 102..

The 250 wat red bulb would keep 100 nicely at 20 - 24" ...

Are the ones you get at the pet shops just made w/ less heat range so you can have them closer and more direct on a location?...

lol sick of returning bulbs

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Seeing as you have a UVB florscent bulb, I'd just go with a normal incandescent bulb. :D

Danny

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I agree with Danny, buy a 75 or 100 watt incandescent bulb. It should be fine with fixture I suppose you (I assume it is rated for up to 250 watt). You didn't mention if the bulbs giving you problems were spots or floods. This also can make a difference.

bdoyle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hamilton, Ontario, CAN
The bulb i have now is this one:
Philips Heat Light 175w Clear
on the box it says "ideal for restaurants, bathrooms and animal habitats"
"medium base, par38 shape order code 175PAR/Heat 120V"

I dont know how to distinguish between a flood light and a spot light..
the sides of the bulb are shaded w/ a reflector type material, perhapse thats more of a spot light then? since it doesnt bleed to thesides so much?...

having it raised up so high broadens the heated area though, to 1/3rd of his enclosure although the temperature is still hottest right under it.

Status
Not open for further replies.