6 month old Sulcata seems "quiet"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Sydney~

5 Year Member
I have a very closely watched and cared for silicate baby, Penelope. She is roughly six months old. I got her as a hatching at the beginning of October. She is in a 20 long that has a basking spot that's about 108, cool side is about 79. She has a humid hide box that stays around 82 all night. Her tank is kept about 78 percent humidity with hide box slightly over 80 percent. Starting Friday, she just seems a bit quiet. Spending quite a bit of time sleeping in her hide and eating less. The only change I have made is rather then getting spring mix, I grabbed dandelion greens and arugala from the store. She also gets Mazuri mixed with the grassland tortoise food several times a week.

She looks great, no blocked nostrils, no eye issues, no mouth breathing or clicking. No weakness, nice hard shell. Usually paces and begs for food.

I do use a uv tube light three days a week and she gets daily soaks. Her starting weight when I got her was 46 grams and she is now 260. Up from 209 three weeks ago. She is pooping and peeing normally.

I am worried something is up and wonder if a vet appointment should be made. She seems fine other then "quiet".

I would love some advice or input. Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I notice with my leopard that during the colder months, he will have times like what your talking about. Everything right, but he wants to sleep a little more and not eat as much. The only thing I do, is to make sure, all temps and humidity is correct and give him the foods I know her likes the most. I also soak mine every other day and make sure he has food available after the soak. He usually will eat some after the soaks. He has always been fine. When do you soak? Try doing it first thing in the morning, after lights on for about an hour. Then give him food right after the soak. They usually will want to eat then. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry, unless something else pops up, or he goes too long, week or more with out eating more normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.