75lb male sulcata

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The guy who turned this tortoise in said he got the tortoise when it was about 7" front to back, but couldn't remember how long he's had him. I'm guessing he's about 15 to 20 years old. Very nice tortoise. Very people friendly. He has a big beak problem, but he still grazes. Rather than bite off the grass, he pulls it out. Before he goes to his new home, I'll trim the beak. Anyone know why this deformity happens? I'd love your opinions on it. This tortoise is the 4th one I've taken in whose bottom beak grows like this. (I was given the option of making every image a "full image" however, when I clicked on that key, nothing happens. So you have to make due with the thumbnails, sorry.)

Attachments

• 2015 rescue #52a.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 278
  • 2015 rescue #52b.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 280
  • 2015 rescue #52c.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 274

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
2015-rescue-52a-jpg.142756

2015-rescue-52b-jpg.142757

2015-rescue-52c-jpg.142758

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I forgot to mention that this is a no fee adoption, and since I have to look at the yard where you want to keep the tortoise, I only will consider people within driving distance from my house...Clovis, Fresno, Selma, Dinuba, Madera, etc.

Keith D.

Arizona
Hmm your about 8 or 9 hours from me. If you can't find a home for him I could meet you halfway.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Wow now that's a tortoise

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Indeed. It's a big boy. May he found a good home soon.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, that bottom beak is something else. I would love to know how/why it grows like that. Maybe not lined up correctly to begin with, which then would keep them from closing correctly, which then would keep the two from keeping each other in check? Just a guess. Home it gets a great home. He looks good.

Boy I wish I could have this guy! I live way to far away and I don't have the space for him that is definitely what I call a tortoise! I hope he gets an awesome home!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow, that bottom beak is something else. I would love to know how/why it grows like that. Maybe not lined up correctly to begin with, which then would keep them from closing correctly, which then would keep the two from keeping each other in check? Just a guess. Home it gets a great home. He looks good.

I have the tool that farriers use to clip off horse hooves, and that's what I used to clip off that lower beak growth. There were no blood vessels in it, it was just like a long fingernail. But I couldn't get close enough to the actual beak with the tool. The guy who adopted the tortoise said he was going to take a Dremel to it and file it to where it should be. He went to a good home and the people love him. The guy has several Chameleons and used to have water turtles.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
The guy who turned this tortoise in said he got the tortoise when it was about 7" front to back, but couldn't remember how long he's had him. I'm guessing he's about 15 to 20 years old. Very nice tortoise. Very people friendly. He has a big beak problem, but he still grazes. Rather than bite off the grass, he pulls it out. Before he goes to his new home, I'll trim the beak. Anyone know why this deformity happens? I'd love your opinions on it. This tortoise is the 4th one I've taken in whose bottom beak grows like this. (I was given the option of making every image a "full image" however, when I clicked on that key, nothing happens. So you have to make due with the thumbnails, sorry.)

One of the Sudan, Marv, had the same issue with his lower beak. Of course it wasn't that bad, I bought a pair of toenail clippers that kinda look like pliers, and once a week I would nip off any growth and file smooth. I did recommended things, feed on concrete surface, give tough foods, I even gave him his mazuri hard and that place still grew out. It's like his bottom beak just kinda flattened out there in the very front and instead of growing up it grew out flat. Neither of the other 2 sudans had the issue. It didn't seem to effect his eating habits in anyway.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One of the Sudan, Marv, had the same issue with his lower beak. Of course it wasn't that bad, I bought a pair of toenail clippers that kinda look like pliers, and once a week I would nip off any growth and file smooth. I did recommended things, feed on concrete surface, give tough foods, I even gave him his mazuri hard and that place still grew out. It's like his bottom beak just kinda flattened out there in the very front and instead of growing up it grew out flat. Neither of the other 2 sudans had the issue. It didn't seem to effect his eating habits in anyway.

Interesting! I've taken in a couple other sulcatas with the problem too.