A bit help with my Hermann tortoise please,

Kisobel

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi people,

I first joined this forum to help me with my little fella who has been doing fantastic recently, he has grown a ton since last time and he just seems overall happy.
I recently changed his substrate, and his behaviours have been a little different and im not sure why. Partially due to it being very cold at the moment in England I presume.

- Hermann Eating His Log

- Constantly Climbing The Vines

- His Setup

For those curious about his setup, everything is correct, its a 4ft vivarium, the heat bulb is correct, all correct hours, the UV Bulb etc. I made a previous post as mentioned and all of this got sorted.

I am just checking his behaviours as, I often crack the glass open a bit for ventilation and prevent it getting too hot when my room gets hot, and he tries to climb up to get my attention or starts scratching near it. He often seems to climb where the vents are too (you can see in the video the circular vents). He seems to climb on his vines a lot and im not sure if this is all normal.

As of yesterday he has taken quite the interest in trying to nibble my fingers. I give him all the correct food too?

Arguably yes I have been reduced on the amount of baths I have given him as sometimes work has gotten in the way but he does get a bath atleast once a week.

I haven't been putting any supplements onto his food, not sure if this is needed or not.

He seems healthy, he seems super active but sometimes I feel like he is a bit too active and im not sure weather I should be concerned or not. He still kinda clicks when he gets scared and pops his head back and opens his mouth when doing it then instantly closes it but he has always done that, nothing new there.

Could someone please give me advice at all? thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises do not like changes and this alone can send them into a different reactions than normal. Give him some time to adjust and see if he gets back to normal.
You can try feeding a pinch of Miner-All a couple times a week. Usually tortoises that chew on rocks and cement, stop when the Miner-all is used.

Kisobel

United Kingdom
Tortoises do not like changes and this alone can send them into a different reactions than normal. Give him some time to adjust and see if he gets back to normal.
You can try feeding a pinch of Miner-All a couple times a week. Usually tortoises that chew on rocks and cement, stop when the Miner-all is used.
Thank you, this makes me feel like I haven't done anything wrong.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
What are temperatures and humidity in the enclosure? You have mentioned, that room gets hot - how does it affect environment in the vivarium?

Also, as I remember, you have bought your tortoise and the equipment in the beginning of February, 5 months ago. You have T8 type lamp for UVB, without reflector hood and we don't know the brand. All UVB lamps lose output over time (6 to 12 months, depending on brand, when run 12 hours a day). There is a high possibility that your tortoise do not get enough UVB to absorb calcium. I'm not 100% if this can result in "calcium cravings" and eating wrong stuff, but it's the issue that should be addressed timely. This applies, of course, if you don't take him outside for 2-3 hours a week.

Kisobel

United Kingdom
Hello!
What are temperatures and humidity in the enclosure? You have mentioned, that room gets hot - how does it affect environment in the vivarium?

Also, as I remember, you have bought your tortoise and the equipment in the beginning of February, 5 months ago. You have T8 type lamp for UVB, without reflector hood and we don't know the brand. All UVB lamps lose output over time (6 to 12 months, depending on brand, when run 12 hours a day). There is a high possibility that your tortoise do not get enough UVB to absorb calcium. I'm not 100% if this can result in "calcium cravings" and eating wrong stuff, but it's the issue that should be addressed timely. This applies, of course, if you don't take him outside for 2-3 hours a week.

Hi Alex!
Hot side under the lamp gets to about 32-35 Degrees Celsius, and the low side is set to not go lower than 24 degrees Celsius, with the passive heater and heat sensor.

He does not go outside as it simply is too cold for him.

He has a cuttle fish bone so if he craved it I believe he would have started chewing it, I do have powder however if needed. I additionally have ACE High if needed.

The UVB light is on from 10 AM to 4:15 PM
His LED and Heat Lamp come on at 6:30 AM and come off at 6:45 PM

That being said, today and yesterday he has non stop stayed under the heat lamp for a while before going on his laps around.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I got told my lamp was a little weak so to put it on for extra time however I can reduce it if needed.
Could you, please, remind the exact distance from the UVB lamp to substrate and lamp model (usually you can find the marking on the side of the glass tube)?

And yes, 6 hours a day is what Tom advised in the older thread.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi Alex!
Hot side under the lamp gets to about 32-35 Degrees Celsius, and the low side is set to not go lower than 24 degrees Celsius, with the passive heater and heat sensor.

He does not go outside as it simply is too cold for him.

He has a cuttle fish bone so if he craved it I believe he would have started chewing it, I do have powder however if needed. I additionally have ACE High if needed.

The UVB light is on from 10 AM to 4:15 PM
His LED and Heat Lamp come on at 6:30 AM and come off at 6:45 PM

That being said, today and yesterday he has non stop stayed under the heat lamp for a while before going on his laps around.
Yes, you are probably right on cuttlebone. You can give him calcium powder and ACE High once a week each (just a small pinch over greens). This helps to compensate nutritional deficiences in grocery foods.

To me temperatures sound fine and it could be seasonal.

What kind of substrate was before change and what is now?

Kisobel

United Kingdom
Yes, you are probably right on cuttlebone. You can give him calcium powder and ACE High once a week each (just a small pinch over greens). This helps to compensate nutritional deficiences in grocery foods.

To me temperatures sound fine and it could be seasonal.

What kind of substrate was before change and what is now?
Would you have any lights recommendations that I should buy then?

I used the same stuff I put down once I got told about how to fix all the incorrections I had,

Currently using Swell Premium Orchid Bark Fine 20L, There is a total of 40L down I believe.

I don't go shopping at the grocery store, I currently order from an ebay seller. They hand pick mon and Wednesday and deliver out them days to prevent wilting, all freshly picked.

Here is the place, check the description to see the foods he is getting. (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145579358719)

Say I were to shop at a grocery store, is there a specific list of things I could get him?

Also I recently removed his food bowl and just put it on the slate, is this okay? I head somewhere it could help bring down his nails, however he doesn't seem to finish all his food now unlike before. Its only day 2 since the change so giving him time.

Other than that tho he seems all healthy :p

Here is another video of him doing his strangeities, is it normal lol?

sorry for the overload of info here, ty for taking the time out your day to reply :)

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Would you have any lights recommendations that I should buy then?

I used the same stuff I put down once I got told about how to fix all the incorrections I had,

Currently using Swell Premium Orchid Bark Fine 20L, There is a total of 40L down I believe.

I don't go shopping at the grocery store, I currently order from an ebay seller. They hand pick mon and Wednesday and deliver out them days to prevent wilting, all freshly picked.

Here is the place, check the description to see the foods he is getting. (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145579358719)

Say I were to shop at a grocery store, is there a specific list of things I could get him?

Also I recently removed his food bowl and just put it on the slate, is this okay? I head somewhere it could help bring down his nails, however he doesn't seem to finish all his food now unlike before. Its only day 2 since the change so giving him time.

Other than that tho he seems all healthy :p

Here is another video of him doing his strangeities, is it normal lol?

sorry for the overload of info here, ty for taking the time out your day to reply :)
1. To advise on UVB lamp I need to know distance between substrate and ceiling or just vivarium height (sorry, can't find this in your older threads). Looks like it's 18 inches, not every lamp will be safe.

2. Okay, the substrate change is not a concern then. Two bags of orchid bark from different brands can be different bark types. However, potentially Swell could have changed the vendor.

3. I didn't even know such businesses exist! The list of herbs sounds good. Out of grocery store products I would get endive (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endive - the first paragraph lists some varietes sold in grocery stores), rocket, kale, baby leaves mix (in our stores it's rocket, beet, green lettuce, spinach leaves and something else), turnip greens and so on. These greens can be amended with dried flower toppers (from ZooMed or Arcadia) or good pellets like Agrobs Pre Alpine Testudo, ZooMed Grassland or Mazuri LS, Arcadia Optimized52.

4. Feeding off the slate won't help much with nails, but a lot of walking will. Nothing bad with using nail clippers from time to time if tortoise has no access to outdoors. Beak trimming can be avoided when feeding whole leaves and stems. Also, correct diet and amount of supplements prevents overgrowing nails and beak.

I see no obvious faults in care and reasons for him to escape, so it's probably seasonal/reaction to change like wellington said above. Let's see if he will calm down (and prevent the trouble with UVB in the meanwhile).

Kisobel

United Kingdom
1. To advise on UVB lamp I need to know distance between substrate and ceiling or just vivarium height (sorry, can't find this in your older threads). Looks like it's 18 inches, not every lamp will be safe.

2. Okay, the substrate change is not a concern then. Two bags of orchid bark from different brands can be different bark types. However, potentially Swell could have changed the vendor.

3. I didn't even know such businesses exist! The list of herbs sounds good. Out of grocery store products I would get endive (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endive - the first paragraph lists some varietes sold in grocery stores), rocket, kale, baby leaves mix (in our stores it's rocket, beet, green lettuce, spinach leaves and something else), turnip greens and so on. These greens can be amended with dried flower toppers (from ZooMed or Arcadia) or good pellets like Agrobs Pre Alpine Testudo, ZooMed Grassland or Mazuri LS, Arcadia Optimized52.

4. Feeding off the slate won't help much with nails, but a lot of walking will. Nothing bad with using nail clippers from time to time if tortoise has no access to outdoors. Beak trimming can be avoided when feeding whole leaves and stems. Also, correct diet and amount of supplements prevents overgrowing nails and beak.

I see no obvious faults in care and reasons for him to escape, so it's probably seasonal/reaction to change like wellington said above. Let's see if he will calm down (and prevent the trouble with UVB in the meanwhile).
thank you very much, sorry forgot to respond.