A bit of a scare

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
Two days ago, about 2 pm...I noticed that the webcam mounted inside my tortoise enclosure was not working. It isn't all that unusual for the internet signal to drop and the camera to go down for periods of time so I didn't think much of it. When I got home at about 730 that night, the entire enclosure was dark...no lights, no heat...nothing. After standing there very shocked and confused for a few seconds, I noticed that the power strip, to which all the lights/CHE's are plugged into, was unplugged!! And what was plugged in instead? Christmas lights!!! I about had a heart attack. Turns out, my elderly father who lives with me, decided to put lights up on the deck and unplugged all the tortoise stuff in order to plug in an extension cord.

The temperature in the enclosure got down to 74. Both tortoises seem to be ok although one has been camped out under the power sun almost constantly ever since. Both are eating.

So, my dad and I had a long talk, he feels awful because he loves animals, but he is not totally with it anymore unfortunately. I'm really hoping he understands and doesn't do it again. At least from now on I will know to call him if I notice the camera stops working for any length of time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
God Bless Dad, huh? Bless his heart. No harm done.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow. I'm dealing with some aging parent issues too. I feel your pain. At least the SWAT team and bomb squad have not been called to your mother-in-laws house yet… Right? Count your blessings!

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Wow. I'm dealing with some aging parent issues too. I feel your pain. At least the SWAT team and bomb squad have not been called to your mother-in-laws house yet… Right? Count your blessings!
Yikes! I can only imagine what that was all about! Definitely no swat team at my house...BUT...I did have adult protective services show up...but I can't get them or my father to tell me why. My guess is he said something to his doctor...he tends to exaggerate now and then. And of course they saw all my animals and now think that we are all insane. I moved out to the the middle of nowhere to keep people from knowing what I have...so much for that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yikes! I can only imagine what that was all about! Definitely no swat team at my house...BUT...I did have adult protective services show up...but I can't get them or my father to tell me why. My guess is he said something to his doctor...he tends to exaggerate now and then. And of course they saw all my animals and now think that we are all insane. I moved out to the the middle of nowhere to keep people from knowing what I have...so much for that.

Oh the trials and tribulations we go through. My wife was threatening to call the authorities on my Mother in laws doctor for not taking care of business…

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Oh the trials and tribulations we go through. My wife was threatening to call the authorities on my Mother in laws doctor for not taking care of business…
Yeah, the whole world of elderly care can be quite challenging as I've come to find out. But what can you do, right?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
no harm was intended, I wonder though could you put a sign by the plugs saying do not unplug tortoises will die.

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
That is a good idea actually.
Cover the plug with red tape then he may realise it's not to be touched.
Glad torts OK and hope Dad found another socket for his lights which I'm sure are very pretty.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I should have read on a bit more.
Actually I have some tape with owls on it that is brightly colored, I'm thinking about putting some of that around the outlet with a sign like dmmj suggested. And he did find another plug for the lights...which do happen to look nice. He is about the only one in my house with any christmas spirit :rolleyes:

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Actually I have some tape with owls on it that is brightly colored, I'm thinking about putting some of that around the outlet with a sign like dmmj suggested. And he did find another plug for the lights...which do happen to look nice. He is about the only one in my house with any christmas spirit :rolleyes:
I could do with some of his Xmas spirit here too - so send him over!

Prairie Mom

So glad your tortoises are okay. I was worrying about where the story was going!

When I read about the adult protective services thing I got a knot in m stomach FOR YOU!!! So invasive.
Hoping all is well with beasts and people:)

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
So glad your tortoises are okay. I was worrying about where the story was going!

When I read about the adult protective services thing I got a knot in m stomach FOR YOU!!! So invasive.
Hoping all is well with beasts and people:)
Thank you :) Yes, it is a very uncomfortable feeling knowing that someone thinks you are doing wrong when you are actually going above and beyond to do right. No good deed goes unpunished I suppose.

But, on a positive note, the tortoises are doing great!