A bit on my tortoises and me

Dylan DeMascio

Location (City and/or State)
LA County, CA
Welcome to the forum. When it comes to sulcata, listen to Tom and Yvonne.
I wish I had room for such beasts myself.

Thank you! They are so fantastic and make great pets for those with the time and space. I just wish I could keep all 3 :(

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
lovely animals, Sulcatas. I have the time, space, love and energy, but I'm too far away from you, I'm afraid.
Good luck, I'm sure you can find them good, loving homes on TF.

elainelim

Terra looks so amazing! You have amazing torts. I have always wondered, how do tortoises fight?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Terra looks so amazing! You have amazing torts. I have always wondered, how do tortoises fight?
Depends on the species and personality, but ramming, biting and even flipping over onto the back are all popular options.
They don't generally observe the Marquis of Queensbury rules though

Dylan DeMascio

LA County, CA
Thank you! Yes, it's exactly as Tidgy's Dad said, but I've never seen biting with my sulcatas, thankfully. However, they have a specialized portion of their plastron (bottom half of the shell) towards the head which juts out like a little battering ram called a gular. That's a sort of weapon they use when ramming.

puffy137

I think thats another way you can tell a male from a female , the gular in my adult males have seen ' action' & it shows. Oh just to clarify , not from being aggressive with other males , but in pursuit of females !

Dylan DeMascio

LA County, CA
I think thats another way you can tell a male from a female , the gular in my adult males have seen ' action' & it shows. Oh just to clarify , not from being aggressive with other males , but in pursuit of females !
That, and both my males, when they hit puberty, began to "present" themselves.