A close call today

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
Today was a gorgeous warm day so I put the torts in their outside enclosures for a few hours. When I went to check on them several large cement blocks had been moved making an escape route for my Diego... and he was gone! Panic!

30 minutes later he came walking up behind me while I dug under plants and checked every crevice in the yard. Oh what a good boy! Whew.

But guess who moved the blocks? A guy who is walking through our neighborhood spray painting the ground to mark utilities. Can he just come into my yard and move things out of his way?!?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
That’s crazy! I’m glad it worked out but I don’t think that guy should have moved anything.. I would call the company he works for and complain.. also, why are they marking there?? Is their some work planned that may affect you again? I think the worker should have let you know!

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
That’s crazy! I’m glad it worked out but I don’t think that guy should have moved anything.. I would call the company he works for and complain.. also, why are they marking there?? Is their some work planned that may affect you again? I think the worker should have let you know!
Yes I agree. A couple days ago as they were spray painting the plants in my front yard orange they said they are putting in a new "power primary". I don't know what that means. I was just shocked to see the guy spraying my succulent garden but I didn't realize they'd be back again and this time in my backyard where the torts are! Yes I should probably call the company.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Unless you have built your tortoise pen in a utility easement on your property, the power company is NOT going to 'plant' a primary power cable on your property. The Underground Service Alert people DO NOT mark underground utilities that are on private property.

I would certainly call and complain, but it's not the power company, it's a separate company - USA - Underground Service Alert, that has been notified by the power company to mark buried utilities.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Unless you have built your tortoise pen in a utility easement on your property, the power company is NOT going to 'plant' a primary power cable on your property. The Underground Service Alert people DO NOT mark underground utilities that are on private property.

I would certainly call and complain, but it's not the power company, it's a separate company - USA - Underground Service Alert, that has been notified by the power company to mark buried utilities.
That is useful information. Sounds like you know about this stuff. There is some kind of utility box that is right at my fence line. I'm realizing now that he couldn't have easily accessed it from the street because I've planted all around it. He must have come into my yard hoping to get at it from that side, which he did by moving the blocks. I'll be calling the USA company that you mentioned. Thanks.