A companion for Tortue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess_Scales

5 Year Member
Does anyone know whether it would be good for Tortue to have a companion or would they fight?
I do worry about her getting lonely and I would like to give another tortoise a good home.

If it's generally a rule that they should live alone, are some tortoises exceptions to this rule? I ask because my Tortue is a very social tort, she seems to really like company!!

x M x

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
A "companion" for a tortoise really isn't necessary. It isn't going to get lonely. Especially for something that it's never had. But on the other hand there isn't really any rule that they should live alone either as long as a few important points are taken into consideration: First, the tortoise that you choose should be close in size to the one you have if you will be keeping them in the same enclosure. When tortoises that differ greatly in size are kept together the smaller one is always at risk of being injured, bullied and pushed around in general all of which can add undue stress.
Before putting them together it is a very wise idea to quarantine your new tortoise for up to 90 days, longer if medically necessary. This will give your new tortoise time to adjust to a new environment and give you time to closely observe the new animals eating, drinking and activity habits to ensure that it is healthy enough to be placed with your other tortoise. Most tortoises adapt to new conditions well as long as the needs of that species are met. But not all of them. Some are often highly stressed from the changes in their environment and new surroundings and their immune systems can be weakened. The quarantine period helps the tortoise to adjust better without having to deal with another tortoise that may not want it in it's territory. Many people use this quarantine time to also have a fecal sample test done by their vet to test for an over abundance of parasites.
To what degree your current tortoise will welcome a new cage mate all depends upon it's species, gender and age. Males of some species are highly territorial and will become aggressive toward other males and even females. Females in general are not territorial under normal circumstances.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
The previous post provides great information if you plan on having multiple torts. They all say torts are a solitary animal, but my three interact all the time. They walk together outside and always huddle together at night. I definitely believe they enjoy the companionship.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I have to female box turtles that have been together for 10 plus years and they sleep together and hibernate together... infact I call them sisters.

I could not ever separate them.

Bringing in a new tort will be for you to smile and enjoy to see the bonding.

I would do it... of course i can stop at one! i started with babysitting a Russian now i still have that one plus 7 more

Status
Not open for further replies.