Substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess_Scales

5 Year Member
I gather from reading posts on this site that the stuff you use to line the tort's enclosure is called substrate? :)

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive substrate that I could use for my darling Tortue-Le-Pops' enclosure?

Am i right in thinking that unfertilised top soil is ok to use?

:) :) :) X M X :) :) :)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-11827.html

She is a Hermann's tortoise. :D

Lover of Tortue-Le-Pops, there is a section of this forum called Hermann's Hangout, and an Enclosures section that may help you. I think your torty would do well on Forest Floor, which is available at Petco.com and is mostly cypress mulch, or Coconut coir, which is also available at Petco and I'm sure other places as well. I mixed the two and added some sphagnum peat moss I got from carolinapetsupply.com , but there are others that can be used alone or mixed and matched. :p

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I love forest floor and sphagnum! Recipes for magic! listen to Stephanie ^_^

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Top soil would also be ok if organic, but it tends to smell a bit. Other options are orchid bark or if you chose to use a dry substrate (all those listed so far would be kept moist), shredded aspen wood works well. I use aspen. It is good for torts liek Hermanns and Russians which don't have high humidity requirements. I buy huge 45 lb bags for a huge discount but you can find it at many stores and online. Don't buy any wood mixes as pine is toxic. Only pure aspen. Smaller particles is better for digging, but the stuff in the rodent section (if you can find pure aspen) is cheaper than the particles they sell for snakes primarily. Try out a few things and see what you both like. Best wishes.

S

stells

Unfertilised/sterilised topsoil is just fine.... its all i use...

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Princess_Scales said:
I gather from reading posts on this site that the stuff you use to line the tort's enclosure is called substrate? :)

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive substrate that I could use for my darling Tortue-Le-Pops' enclosure?

Am i right in thinking that unfertilised top soil is ok to use?

:) :) :) X M X :) :) :)

I am using both the coconut husk (Eco Earth) and cypress because well, that's what was recommended to me. Overtime I might change it all together and for right now they are working well for the Ibera hatchlings.

Princess_Scales

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the advice :)
I am going shopping tomorrow to see which of the above i can find for my little Popsicle baby <3
xx

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Some folks like to do half and half, but its all about opinions. 1/2 Aspen & half soil is well liked in some cases. Half dry and half humid!

Status
Not open for further replies.