A couple questions from a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, Florida
Hi everyone,
My name is Quyen and my Leo Tort is named Kiwi. I'm planning on expanding the family and I got a couple questions. Kiwi is 3 inches and tortoise land is a 3x7 feet enclosure.
The first question is how can I improve tortoise land?
The second question is can you house with a star tortoise and a leopard tortoise together?

:tort: Kiwi :tort:
DSC00208.jpg

Tortoise Land
IMG_0851.jpg

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Hi! No you cannot house two different species. Why? Because they can give each other diseases they wouldn't normally get in the wild. Beautiful tort though! And I like tortoise land!

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Coreyc hit the spot sand isnt so good can cause impactions.
add some more plants for some shelter and giving your tortoise something to do.
Cute tortoise though

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME. Tortoise land size is nice. However, like stated get rid on the sand. I like coconut coir. Holds humidity the best of any substrate and won't mold. For more improvement, make an outdoor enclosure so he/she can get some outdoor time. Also up humidity. Read the threads at the bottom of my post. The are all good for raising a smooth, healthy leopard.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
Hi,

Nice set-up for your tortoise, however, I noticed one of you clamp lamps have a plastic holding. If your using any type of heat in that lamp I would switch to ceramic one because the plastic one will melt!

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
Thank you thank you everyone for replying!!
I will definitely change my substrate to coco coir since I still have extra and i'll work on making that outdoor enclosure. A thanks to wellington and coreyc for giving me links to some awesome information.
Humidity seems to be the key thing I need to work on. Ill spray the coco coir everyday to keep it moist but can anyone recommend a humidity percentage I should remain around?
I had Kiwi in a 40 gallon for almost a year before I built Tortoise Land. I had a Zilla 15W UVA/UVB lamp in that tank. Would anyone recommend bringing it back? I let Kiwi soak in the evening in partial sun and shade everyday.
What sort of live plants besides succulents should I add to the enclosure? Would fake ones from the pet stores be ok?

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
Lilithlee said:
Hi,

Nice set-up for your tortoise, however, I noticed one of you clamp lamps have a plastic holding. If your using any type of heat in that lamp I would switch to ceramic one because the plastic one will melt!

I will definitely get rid of that lamp. For the size of my enclosure, do you think I should have more than two lamps?

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
Q said:
Lilithlee said:
Hi,

I will definitely get rid of that lamp. For the size of my enclosure, do you think I should have more than two lamps?

I don't own a leo, so, none of my table are that big but what are your temps away from the heat? Does your little leo stay only where the heat at, if so, that may be a hint the rest of the table is too cold for him.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What are the temperatures all around your tortoise table?

I don't see much in the way of lighting. If your tortoise does not get outside time, it would help to have some full spectrum lighting as well as a UVB emitting bulb.

I wouldn't house the indian star and the leopard together if I were you.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
I do soak Kiwi every evening outside in some partial sun. The temperatures is 80's and 90's on the warm side, 70's on the cool side and middle and 100's in the basking spot. Should I put a UVB/UVA lamp in the enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.