josh said:
thats a great snake room you have!
its so neat and clean too!

Thanks. :) It doesnt always stay that clean but we try. lol

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Very interesting Anja, I'll have lots of questions for you as I come up w/ them...My son wants a snake and we have been looking at one at PHS.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What snake do you think is better for a 10 yr old. Corn snake, milk snake, or king snake? Do they need humidity? Can they use the same lights I use on the torts or something different? He really wants a king snake or a milk snake, but a friend of mine told me she saw a king snake and it was huge streching from one side of a road to another out in the desert. Do they get that huge in captivity?

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Average king snakes are 3-4ft, with an exceptional specimen reaching 5ft. I think your friend might have been exaggerating a bit. ;D Cornsnakes are excellent beginner and children's snakes. Snakes do not require UVB, just an under tank heater and a small basking spot lamp will be fine. Some Milks and Kings can be finicky eaters as babies, corns usually eat great. I do have a friend in Flagstaff that has some 2007 Kings for sale and he does occasionally make trips down to the valley. Im planning on picking up a group out of what he has left here in the next few days. He has a great price on these yearlings as well. You can PM me for more info if you want. If you are interested in a Corn we have one or two males from 2007 left and will have hatchlings within the next month or so.

Here is a good generalized colubrid care sheet that will work for Kings, Milks or Corns. http://www.reptileallsorts.com/colubrid-cs.htm

Bare in mind, it is not necessary to brumate a captive snake unless you are planning to breed, in which case you get better breeding results by doing so. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.